Mpg Video Import Failure

Hello,

I can import .mov files easily, but cannot import .mpg files. Although the import box shows the files, I get the message ‘invalid or unsupported file format’.

I suspect that it’s a DirectShow issue, as I can’t find an alternative in Devise Setup - Video Player.

So, my question is - how do I get mpg files to play in Cubase?

Spec:

Cubase 5.5.3
Windows 7 SP1 x64 Professional
NVidia GTX460SE
EMU 0404
AMD Phenom II 955 X4
8 Gb RAM

Thanks for any reply.

So it seems that Cubase 5.5.3 and Cubase 6 will only play QuickTime .mov files in Windows 7 64 bit.

I’m sure that when I used Cubase 32 bit I could import mpg video files. Perhaps I don’t remember that accurately.

Can anyone confirm the above?

Thanks, Steve

It seems that 6.0.3 will import mpeg1 format - a format that is used for video CD - but not mpeg2. THis seems to me to be weird, as mpeg2 has to be more popular than mpeg1 these days.

Am I barking up the wrong tree here, or is it time for Cubase to support mpeg2?

There is a knowledge base article about the new Video engine, which is now based around quicktime, and the problems with quicktime amd mpeg codec.

Thanks for that thinkingcap - I appreciate it. No more mpeg2 for me then :slight_smile:

I have a really good video converter to .mov (Aiseesoft QuickTime Video Converter), so for me that’ll be the way to go.

Thanks for your time.