MR816 ADAT S/MUX Connectivity

Hi guys, I have an important question since I am not that good with the Digital I/O.

I want to buy an Audient ASP008 Mic Preamp (8 channels) with an ADAT S/MUX digital output that supports sample rates up to 96 kHz. I wanted to ask you if my Steinberg MR816 CSX can support this format for 8 digital channels running at 96 kHz and if is going to be stable?

What type of cable do I need to buy for this option?

I am running this on a 6-core Mac Pro, if this will be of any consideration.

Hello MikeChris,

In this case it is more of an ADAT (Lightpipe) limitation issue.
Like any other ADAT capable device the MR816 can carry eight channels of uncompressed digital audio at 24 bit resolution at 48,000 samples per second. All Lightpipe signals are transmitted at 24 bit resolution, no matter what the depth of the audio; information is contained within the Most Significant Bits and the rest of the bits remain a string of zeros Higher sample rates can be used with a proportionately reduced number of channels, although the original ADAT machines did not support this. Known as SMUX, this connection allows 4 channels at a sample rate of 96kHz on one optical cable.
I hope this answer your question.

Best regards,
GN

And that’s why some interfaces have two ADAT i/o’s - I was in the market for an interface recently and opted out the MR816 for that reason.

HI Pete

For what its worth that Audient piece is great. I have one at the studio and love it. Not using it with my 816, though it behaves very, very nicely with another single ADAT in interface.

Best

Lee

And that’s why some interfaces have two ADAT i/o’s - I was in the market for an interface recently and opted out the MR816 for that reason.

Yes, you are right just like the UR824 Interface with 2 pairs of ADAT optical I/O (doubles as S/PDIF) provide 16 in and 16 out (S/MUX compatible, 8 in and 8 out @ 96 kHz) :wink:

http://www.steinberg.net/en/products/alte_seiten_pfade/hardware/ur_series/ur824.html

Best regards,
GN

Yes!!! And thanks for pointing that out. I actually had missed that. (Probably because I prefer FW interfaces) I SO wish the MR816 had 2x ADAT :frowning: