MR816 and 2014 Macmini via Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter?

I am thinking about giving my 2009 iMac (Core 2 Duo 3.05MHz) to my eldest son and replacing it with a new Macmini which only have Thunderbolt. Can I connect my MR816 CSX to it using a Thunderbolt to Firewire adapter or do I need to use a Mac with a Firewire port?

Thanks.

Bump.

I would very much appreciate if anyone could share their experiences.

Thanks.

Bump… :slight_smile:

I see this is an older thread, but no one answered. I am running a new 2014 Mac Book Pro and using dual MR816CSX interfaces. The Thunderbolt-to-firewire adapter works well. Just need a firewire 800 to 400 cable. I had no problems at all running this. Now, I have since added the Thunderbolt Display, and it has a built in FW800 port. I now use this, but have noticed that when my Mac idles (maybe when it wakes up after sleep mode) the MR816 has a huge input latency. I have to go into the Device setup on the MR and click on the buffer size and it goes back to functioning normally. I have not spent the time to figure out exactly what is happening, yet.

That’s reassuring news. However, it would be helpful to learn what make and model of adapter you’re using.

Apple. I bought it at the apple store

Thanks. I missed the response.

I couldn’t find a response anywhere so I bought the cheapest MacBook Pro instead, which still has FW. But I am still interested in getting a Mac mini installed in my rack just for DAW use.

Thanks again.

I see this is an old thread, but just for anyone else out there, I’m running this with no problems at all. In fact, am connecting the MR816 to a fw16e card in a Motif XF which is running a firewire 400/800 cable in to the apple fw800/thunderbolt connector and its all good. Shows up as a single 28/18 interface without requiring mac interface integration. The quality of the firewire cables does seem to impact the 816 though, I used to get interference and disconnection of the 816 when my fridge fan turned on !! Getting a better quality firewire cable removed this problem. Specifically, the lacie firewire 400/800 orange ribbon cable was not good.

I have moved to an RME Raydat PCie card now. I still use my MR816CSX’s, but they are now connected via ADAT cables. Works perfect. No firewire or drivers needed…except to setup the MR’s.