MR816 and Windows 10

Did either of you two try to switch sample rates using WDM drivers?
Thanks!

No. I canā€™t think of any reason I would use the WDM drivers over ASIO.

Hi,

a short update, though this isnā€™t scientific by any means.

The frequency of dropouts I suffer from over here has decreased after installation of the Windows 10 November update. They are not gone, but it got better.

Sadly, on the lowest meaningful level this can be due ā€œtons ofā€ Windows components. But thereā€™s hope for the best.

QDriver

The latest knowledgebase update for El Capitan (just out) shows scheduled updates for various hardware/software as coming some in late November, some in late December. In this table, the MR816 update is shown as tba, same as on the Windows support table. Iā€™m getting a sinking feeling about the support for this hardware. Yamaha has a pattern of fairly quick hardware life cycles. They promised 64 bit drivers for the 01x, which NEVER CAME. They officially dropped that device from support instead.

When this happened, they offered a loyalty discount on buying a new piece of their hardware. Thatā€™s how I ended up with my MR816. If they offer a similar program for MR816 owners, hereā€™s hoping it comes sooner, rather than later. Else, it may come too late to prevent me from jumping ship.

I own a great many UAD plugins, and might otherwise be interested in a new Apollo, but the last OS supported on my UAD hardware is Windows 7!!! With this kind of support, Iā€™m strongly considering selling the whole lot of it and buying a different brand of gear. Iā€™d consider a recommendation.

Another week goes by and nada from Steinberg. My new DAW is coming over the holiday break. I suspect I will be adding a new audio interface system as well; one manufactured by a company that has a history for quality and customer support - as in not Steinberg.

I donā€™t get it either. Itā€™s so simple, just communicate to your customers and be honest.

This is how I feel (sarcasm included)
My ticket has been opened 15 days ago, except the initial auto-confirmation no reply yet. :cry:

The Marketing
Build to Last*?
_________
Disclaimer
*Note: No matter how it was announced or advertised, the average product lifespan of our hardware is dictated by our software department.

Iā€™m so happy, Iā€™m just a hobbyist.

Nevertheless
I think we will get an driver update. Otherwise Steinberg would heavily undermine their invests to build up a semi-pro/pro claim over the years. Afaik, the drivers have to be written and provided by Yamaha, not Steinberg. Kicking the mother companyā€™s asses might not be that easy in the end.
I also really canā€™t imagine that Steinberg is aiming at putting their audi-interfaces in the same ballpark as modern disposable electronic gadgets like mobile phones in the long run. Imo, this sort of business is much too volatile.

Therefore I keep being optimistic. :slight_smile:

QDriver

Interesting fact: changing sample rate in Ableton doesnā€™t give any problems. I can switch to whatever rate Iā€™d like and the MR816csx will keep on working just fine.

@Steinberg development: whatā€™s your reaction to that?

I use the WDM drivers for the Windows stuff(training vids etc) while using the Asio for my DAW. Can do both at the same time. This leaves a bad taste in my mouth, so no Cubase no controllers, no interfaces from steinberg.
Anyway, looking for a 2 channel interface for my iPad right now. Any suggestions(other than steinberg, this has got to last)? Maybe focusrite or Rme?

No more dropouts during plain audio playback, it seems!

Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver Utility (3.) was the key. After checking all those - and literally every other old times computer voodoo stuff - combinations it is/was changing IEEE1394 Buffer Size from Small [Default] to Large in the end.
Windows 10 Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver Settings-IEEE1394-Large_NO_DROPOUTS.png
The kudos goes to Felipe Garcia for providing the crucial link. Thanks a lot. :smiley:

PS: donā€™t ask me why this change is required after the Win 10 upgrade has been done on the very same hardware.

someone

Yamaha Steinberg FW Driver Utility (3.) was the key. After checking all those - and literally every other old times computer voodoo stuff - combinations it is/was changing IEEE1394 Buffer Size from Small [Default] to Large in the end.

I had to do this in Windows 7 after upgrading From Cubase 7.5 to Cubase Pro 8. 8 was unusable with the identical hardware and settings I have used successfully in 7.5. Of course, my system latency increased by doing this, despite the claims of better performance in this version.

Too me this whole issue is totally mysterious.

Iā€™ve never had such problems before upgrading to Windows 10. Yesterday Iā€™ve spent hours to push the latency back to < 1.000Āµs (DPC Latency Checker as monitor) where it was as Iā€™ve setup this machine back in 2009. I deactivated almost any device driver, stopped every application and program in the task manager and finally booted using the BIOS defaults. The latency stayed completely unchanged. :open_mouth:
Only changing this FW buffer made an audible change to the better (though it was a shot in th edark since both of the ā€œrequiredā€ conditions werenā€™t met).

Btw, I havenā€™t even played with Cubase yet (means any ASIO specific stuff). To me it means, it is FW-releated and therefore could be addressed with the drivers.

someone

Been almost 6 months since this thread started. Still nothing from Steinberg. Howā€™s that for professional customer serviceā€¦ :imp: :imp: :imp:

Really, if you told me that an audio interface company would just totally ignore their existing customer base in this competitive area I wouldnā€™t believe it. To continue to do so for almost 6 months is beyond the pale. How could anyone buy their products with this track record?
I donā€™t believe that there will ever be a Windows 10 driver.

Any updates on this? I am wanting to do a clean OS install and am trying to work out whether I should re-install Win 7 or go straight for a clean install of Win 10. I have just found out today that my computer MOBO is Win 10 compatible and so are my other bits of audio hardware, I am just not sure about the MR816 and a Novation MIDI controller I haveā€¦ The drivers on the MR816 page have WIN 10 listed as a compatible OS but the driver itself is from 2013 so I am not sure how accurate that is.

Can someone please explain to me what the issues to do with the sample rate changing are all about?

Still nothing. Shocked, shocked i sayā€¦

hmmm why does their driver from a couple of years ago have Windows 10 as a compatible OS on their download page? :question:

What you are seeing is the firmware for MR816s are W10 compatable (which is actually unknowable), NOT the firewire drivers. People are getting significant audio dropouts and sample rate issues which are both deal killers for users of 816s under W10. Based on how they handled the original zero-latency misrepresentations - telling people the fixes were coming until the statute of limitations ran on false advertising claims, then announcing no fix was coming - I would not be surprised if they wait until one year after they sell their last one to announce no more driver updates. I still canā€™t get a straight answer from anyone at Steinberg.

Oh wowā€¦ Atrocious, and here I was wanting to upgrade with a second interfaceā€¦ I donā€™t think I will now. What comparable interfaces are on the market now? Something that can be daisy chained properly and is preferably FireWire? Not interested in the RME cause of the priceā€¦ Is there anything cheaper? Steinberg is literally losing customersā€¦

My first and my last interface with these guys, the support has been crappy for this product

Hey @shanabit. LTNS! Me too. They pulled the same stunt with the Houston a few years ago. I feel really sorry for all those poor fools who bought Nuage consolesā€¦