MR816 with Windows 11

Will my MR816csx’s be a definite No No with windows 11.
My two units are still still working fine on my windows 10 set-up.

According to the compatibility chart, they are shown as compatible…

https://helpcenter.steinberg.de/hc/en-us/articles/4407350910866-Windows-11-product-compatibility#Hardware

They haven’t been compatible with Windows 10 since version 1809, I believe. If this is true, it may breathe new life into them.

1 Like

Wow, fingers crossed. Thanks for the info.

Hm, I just realized my computer is not compatible with Windows 11 :frowning: What’s the cheapest Windows 11 computer with Firewire that can run Cubase? :slight_smile:

Updated to Windows 11 yesterday. MR816 csx is working again. Has run for over 24 hrs. with nary a peep of trouble. Performance seems improved, too.

I couldn’t get more than 30 min. or so between BSODs in the later updates to Windows 10. 1809 was the last stable release.

1 Like

I’m on Windows 10 (v21H2) 19044.2846, running the latest MR816 driver and it works fine.
Ryzen 3900x and 32Gb.

1 Like

Hello there, I know two years have passed but are you still using it by any chance? And does it still work with windows 11? I found a very good price on a used one and I’m considering to buy it, but windows 11 does not support firewire anymore so I’m a little worried about that (albeit there are the legacy drivers, do you use those or just the interface’s drivers?). I would need to do a FireWire 400 to Thunderbolt conversion (apparently I saw online it is a 3 steps conversion), but I’m more worried about the drivers than anything else. Especially because I saw people with other interfaces having issues…

Of course, Windows 10 and 11 is working fine with mr816. But you have to use with T.I chipset 1394 card.

and you don’t need to convert to thunderbolt. Just use TI chipset on 1394 pci card.

Hi there, thank you for the reply!
I have a laptop with thunderbolt not a “tower” pc, so I don’t think PCI card is a viable option… Might also end up more expensive to do as I think I need pci to express adapter and then express to usb (from a quick internet search), so I think for now I’ll still consider the thunderbolt adapter route, but thank you for giving me an extra option to consider.

Did you get this working with Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter?

Hi there, I couldn’t try yet, I will be able only this summer unfortunately.

This guy managed to make an interface that is not even supported on Windows 10:
(I can’t post links apparently, search “how to connect a firewire audio interface to a mac or pc with thunderbolt 3” video is by Scott Schramm)
So I don’t see why an interface that is still supported shouldn’t work in theory.

In any case if nobody else replied before me, I’m setting a reminder on my phone to get back to the forum this summer and let you know!

Using Windows 11 pro now, Firewire card pcie with TI chip.
My MR816csx is running good!
Noticed that latency in Windows 10 is better than Windows 11, but Cubase 13pro seems to have no problem with that.
YWS Utility driver set to large, the rest standard settings.