I have existing midi files up in Cubse 12 and I am trying to assign instrument Bank and Program to pick the instruments I want to use on the Montage. I don’t want to preassign on the montage. If I have the MSB, LSB and channel of the instrument I want, how to i convert the three numbers I have on the montage into bank selector field and program selector field?
Hi and welcome to the forum,
The only way, how to transfer it to the only one field is to use the MIDI Patch for the instrument, which describes, which instrument/sound sits at witch Program Change, and Bank Select MSB & LSB.
If this is not the case, you have to use both fields: Program and Bank Selector (what is the Bank MSB and LSB at once).
- The Bank Selector value 0-127 means MIDI CC0 = 0 and MIDI CC32 = 0-127.
- Bank Selector value 128 = MIDI CC0 = 1 and MIDI CC32 = 0.
- Bank Selector value 129 = MIDI CC0 = 1 and MIDI CC32 = 1.
- Bank Selector value 130 = MIDI CC0 = 1 and MIDI CC32 = 2.
I have three examples of my problem
#1 piano MSB 64 LSB 0 Program Change No. 1
#2 Bass MSB 64 LSB 2 Program Change No. 6
#3 Guitar MSB 64 LSB 14 Program Change No. 47
Example #1 is the only one that works in that I can just enter 64 and 1 and I get the Piano.
I have no idea what to enter for the Bass and Guitar
You will set it this way in Cubase:
- 1 piano MSB 64 LSB 0 Program Change No. 1 = Bank Selector 64; Program Selector: 1
- 2 Bass MSB 64 LSB 2 Program Change No. 6 = Bank Selector 320 (MSB 64 + LSB 2 * 128); Program 6
- 3 Guitar MSB 64 LSB 14 Program Change No. 47 = Bank Selector 1856 (MSB 64 + LSB 14 * 128); Program 47
Thank you for your assistance
320-6 got me 64, 14, 28
1856-47 got me 64, 14, 69
I am trying to make a spreadsheet of the 20?? voices I have and what the range of MSB, LSB are. Not sure how that would help though
I’ve been inquiring on a Yamaha forum since I am using a Montage and though I am not out of the woods yet I did learn why your example did not work for me. It appears you may have accidentally reversed your calculation. I am told it is (MSB*128)+LSB to calculate the Bank. Thank you so much for you help
Oh, sorry, the *128 was assigned to the wrong value on my side.