Multi-channel WAV to multiple buses / mixer channels?

Hi folks,

Imagine this:

I have imported a 4 channel WAV file into cubase.

The channels are:

1#: kick
2#: snare
3#: hi-hat
4#: overhead

Now i want to put a compressor on the kick channel, an EQ on the snare, a limiter on the hi-hat and a reverb on the overhead.

Is there any way to do this in Cubase? I mean to route the output of a multi-channel WAV to many (more than 2) mixer channels?

If so, could anyone give me some pointers how to do this?

Thanks!

I have never found a file with four separate channels …

When you import and audio file in Cubase, cubase Asl you of you want ti divide the Channel in a separate track or in a same track. This with stereo wave.

Use the ‘convert tracks’ function.

@marQs

OK, but i meant keep the 4 channels in the WAV, but somehow route the four mono tracks out to separate destinations.

This would be useful if you, for example, want to do audio warp on a drum recording, but still have your kick, snare, toms etc. going to their own effects.

I feel it must be possible because when working with surround you might very well want different processing on the various channels.

Canˋt try at the moment, but I think it should be possible to use the surround panner and sends, to send the 4 channels to 4 mono groups.

Yeah, it’s possible using sends and one of the tricky panners for sure. I’ve done stuff like that but can’t exactly remember. On a 4 ch track you possibly find the joysticklike panner for the sends as well…?!? Not sure though.

OK, thanks!

If anyone knows exactly how to do it, please please chime in!

Is it also possible to record direct into Cubase into a multi-channel WAV?

So, for example, record a multi-mic’ed drum-kit and have it all contained in one WAV?

Please check this example project containing kick, snare, ohs. I converted it to LRCS using the convert function in Cubase and split it to mono groups using sends and the send panners. Take a look at the send levels, they’re not 1:1. Flipping phase proofs the LRCS sent to mono groups just nearly nulls out (where I expected it to completely null out), didn’t explore further.

Create an input bus in a multichannel format (i.e. 3rd order Ambisonics for 16 channels) and connect your physical inputs as desired, then create an audio track in the chosen format and it will record the whole bunch to a single wav.

See my post here also: Multitrack Free Warp - Cubase - Steinberg Forums

Many thanks for taking the time, i’m gonna look into this!

Hi marQs ,

I checked out your example project, but i’m not understanding it, or at least i’m not getting the desired result.

Perhaps i’m misunderstanding what the intention with it is?

I’ll explain what i think is going on with it, and please correct me where i’m going wrong!

• You’ve got an LRCS 4 channel track, that contains a 4 channel WAV of a drum multi-track recording.

• You’ve placed it in a folder along with 4 group tracks.

• With 4 sends (from the LRCS track) you’re sending to each of the groups.

• When i solo each of the groups, i hear the exact same audio (i think a sum of all 4 mono channels), albeit panned either center, left or right.

• However looking at the visual representation of the 4 channel WAV, it does seem to be 4 different channels of audio.

• I’m presuming that the intention is that when one solos one of the groups, you would expect to hear each of the individual drum stems.

Perhaps something got lost in translation from your Cubase to mine? (I’m on 10.5).

Do you hear the individual drum stems when you solo each of the groups?

One other thing to mention: in the OP i talked about 4 channels of audio, but i just did that to keep it simple and to make the point. Typically i would need to do this with 8 channels of audio for drums.

It’s strange that Cubase can handle these multi-channel WAVs, but doesn’t go that extra mile and let you easily route the channels where you want! I’d imagine this would be a great way for people to work with multi-mic’d instruments like drums, piano etc, keeping all channels in one WAV (great for editing) but letting you apply FX to the various mics as you see fit!

Thanks!

You asked for routing tricks regarding multichannel tracks & sends. The intention was to deliver an example of how it can be done.

I’ll explain what i think is going on with it, and please correct me where i’m going wrong!

• You’ve got an LRCS 4 channel track, that contains a 4 channel WAV of a drum multi-track recording.

• You’ve placed it in a folder along with 4 group tracks.

• With 4 sends (from the LRCS track) you’re sending to each of the groups.

• When i solo each of the groups, i hear the exact same audio (i think a sum of all 4 mono channels), albeit panned either center, left or right.

• However looking at the visual representation of the 4 channel WAV, it does seem to be 4 different channels of audio.

• I’m presuming that the intention is that when one solos one of the groups, you would expect to hear each of the individual drum stems.

Perhaps something got lost in translation from your Cubase to mine? (I’m on 10.5).

Do you hear the individual drum stems when you solo each of the groups?

It’s a C10.5 project, so should work as it is. Updated it, try again using this cpr: https://www.dropbox.com/s/vt8dinjtbk8ijio/multichannel%20wav%20handling-01.cpr?dl=0
If I solo a group I hear one of the 4 channels.

It should look like this:

The Mix Convert windows are what you get when you click the send panner on the LCRS track.

One other thing to mention: in the OP i talked about 4 channels of audio, but i just did that to keep it simple and to make the point. Typically i would need to do this with 8 channels of audio for drums.

It’s strange that Cubase can handle these multi-channel WAVs, but doesn’t go that extra mile and let you easily route the channels where you want! I’d imagine this would be a great way for people to work with multi-mic’d instruments like drums, piano etc, keeping all channels in one WAV (great for editing) but letting you apply FX to the various mics as you see fit!

Thanks!

That’s just not how Cubase is designed. It’s way easier to have each file on a seperate channel when it comes to mixing. For editing multiple channels we have folder editing.

One thing Cubase isn’t capable of (yet) is multichannel warping. That’d be the only reason for me to convert a bunch of drum tracks into a single mutlichannel wav. I’ve tried it (see the thread I’ve linked before: Multitrack Free Warp - Cubase - Steinberg Forums) and it works but it’s not an elegant solution. Apart from that, cut/slide/fade-edits sound transparent if done right while warping may cause weird artefacts (depending on the source material).