Multi-timbral VI Control

Been out of the Cubase/composing world for quite some time.
In the past when I was using Omnisphere I could control levels of each channel independently in Cubase.
Not working now (user error for sure).
Here is my process:
Add Omni as new VI in the track list.
When I record/playback channel 1 all is good.
Now when I wanted to setup channel 2 in the track list I duplicated channel 1 track.
This created a new instance of Omni which I don’t want.
Deleted 2nd instance and created a midi channel assigned to Omni and set to Ch 2.
At this point I realize I’m doing something wrong as affecting volume on any Omni track will affect the overall level of Omni and not the individual channels.
I’m sure its something in my process and have no idea how I used to do it.

Hi,

How do you control the Volume? Do you use the fader in the MixConsole? Or do you send MIDI CC7? Or any other approach?

Either mixer or fader from track.

Hi,

This is it. By the fader, you control the Audio Return output of the instrument.

Thanks for the quick response.
You asked how I am controlling the midi tracks, yes I am using mixer and channel fader.
Both are affecting the overall level of all Omni channels.
It has to be related to how I am setup with the VI.

You have to enable Multi-Output feature for each instrument and activate the wanted outputs

Then you get multiple outputs from Omnisphere (or other instrument).
Rember the differences between MIDI and Instrument track…

Hi,

The Instrument track’s fader (you call it Omni as VI) doesn’t control the MIDI track 1 volume, it controls the Audio Return volume of the Instrument (Omnisphere). You can imagine it as the Master Volume of the instrument.

Either use multi-outputs in the instrument, to get dedicated Audio Returns for the given sound. Or control the Volume by using MIDI CC7 (or Expression by using MIDI CC11).

If I understand you correctly: you want to use Omnisphere multitimbrally - and have volume faders in the cubase mixer?
So, you create an instrument track for Omnisphere. It will automatically be assigned midi channel 1. Let’s say you want three more tracks. You can then create some more midi tracks and make sure they are assigned to be routed to Omnisphere on, say, midi channels 2,3 and 4. I think Cubase will do this automatically and consecutively for you but check the inspector to the left for each midi track.
Now open Omnisphere by clicking on the ‘e’ button on the Omnisphere rack instrument under VSTi tab.
In Omnisphere click on the ‘multi’ button. On the left of each part you will see two small boxes. The top one is the midi channel that part is receiving on and should be the same number channel as for the midi track in cubase. The box below is to set the audio output [A-H]. Each part 1-8 will probably be all set to Output A. You can change parts 2-4 to have outputs, say, B, C and D if you like.
Then go back to Cubase and the instrument racks on the right. Click on the inverted triangle button in the Omnisphere rack. A menu will appear - click on Activate Outputs and then click on BC&D. Or you could click on ‘All’. Audio faders will then appear in the Cubase mixer. Voila!
There might be other ways, I am not sure, but it is my way of working. Hope this helps.

Ok got it.

I was confusing fader for audio with fader for midi.
Now if I use midi fader I am where I need to be.

Thx guys.

Hi,

You can see different colors is the faders based on the channel type.