multi track recording, and MIDI questions.

Hi all,
I’m sorry if this has been previously asked, and addressed, but I just want to ask the following regarding multi track recording; When the person (engineer) operating VST Connect pro is connected to the artist (using Performer with a multi in audio interface), they get access to the different inputs of this audio interface, right? But am I right in also saying that the different audio inputs just initially appears as a stereo feed, until the separate HD audio files are requested. It sort of says this in the promo video, but it’s not entirely clear, to me at least. If this is the case, do the separate audio files, once requested, place themselves into the arrangement on new tracks?

As for midi, when the performer plays via a midi keyboard for example, are the able to access VSTs on the engineer’s computer, or do they have to use any available VST or outboard midi instrument at their end, with the engineer just receiving the midi? This last point isn’t really addressed in the promo video, and to me it’s not clear in the manual either, but I could be a bit thick…

Any help on this is always appreciated.

Simple answer: yes, exactly so. The engineer defines the resolution (16 or 24 bit) for recordings on the Performer computer. Then you can ask to replace the stereo mix that you already recorded, and/or seperate tracks. There is a record enable button on each channel to define that this signal should be recorded seperately, and after HD files have been received, they replace the stereo mix and for seperate files, Cubase/Nuendo tracks are beeing created automagically. So yes, you can record your full drum setup just like that and you will have all your bd, sn, hi etc as seperate tracks in full resolution in Cubase/Nuendo.

MIDI on the Performer side is played thru one selectable VST Instrument, and sent to the Studio for recording. The Performer can not play a VST Instrument on the Studio computer, that would not be possible due to the delay. But after recording, as the Performers’ headphone mix is really a cue mix, the engineer can play back the recorded MIDI with his instrument(s), and the Performer can listen to it.
The engineer can also send MIDI to the Performer. In this case, he can even record the audio of the Performers’ instrument in sync, which can come in handy when the Performer owns a rare or expensive instrument. We actually recorded a Yamaha Disk Piano this way :slight_smile:

Hope that helps and I got all your questions right?

That’s of great help, thanks.

Simon.