Multiple ASIO device support

Will Steinberg be considering adding support for more than one ASIO audio interface at a time into Cubase?
My use case is to use a Focusrite 18i20 (which supports low latency monitoring) and an additional USB microphone at the same time.
There are lots of people saying to use ASIO4All on Windows but this is not really suitable due to the inherent latency issues that it causes.

I’m really hoping that support for dual (or more than one) ASIO device support can be on the roadmap for a future Cubase release.

It’s very unlikely this will ever happen!

You can channel more ASIO devices into Cubase using this free application(donationware):
VOICEMEETER Virtual Audio Mixer.

Also, keep in mind that different devices have different latency performances.

1 Like

I’ll add my vote!! ASIO 3 perhaps? I think this would really revolutionise the way we connect audio devices, for example I could run a top quality super expensive 2 channel device for my monitoring while using a top quality 8 channel device for say multitracking drums, as well as some low quality (i.e. cheaper) devices that could be used for recording simultaneous guide tracks. Right now we’re limited to one manufacturer and one device which is actually quite frustrating sometimes especially for high track counts on a budget.

Having said all that, there is rednet and ABV, and these can allow you to mix and match manufacturers and devices.

Mike.

Don’t think that will ever happen, good that SP/diff, ADAT, MADI is a way of expanding I/O.
Apple can do it because they have baked that feature into the OS.

Ah, but using say ADAT or other digital chaining introduces latency which isn’t compensated for. What we need is a multidevice ASIO which sorts out all the latencies of the connected devices and also syncs them all to the same wordclock through the USB. A big overhaul of how ASIO works I expect. Yes, you’re probably right though. Until more manufacturers support network connection like AVB or rednet then we’ll not get decent multidevice support.

Mike.

But ADAT is “latency compensated” sample accurate if clocked from the same source.
AVB and RedNet are nice if running long distances, and offers a cheap and reliable connector.
My God ADAT Toslink cables and connectors are awful.

Thanks ckon, I have had a look into/and a quick play with VoiceMeeter Potato but can’t see a way to map all 18 physical inputs from my focusrite scarlett 18i20 through this driver into Cubase.
In Studio Setup I can see 34 Ins and 34 outs when I select the Voicemeeter Potato Insert ASIO driver but I can only map up to 10 (2x5 Hardware inputs) through.

Perhaps I’m looking to do something that is not going to work. I have a 2 room studio (Control Room & Live Room) when tracking a full band I use up to 10 Mics on the drum Kit and dual (Cab & Dry) inputs for Bass & Guitar + Keys & Vox. This is all from the Live room. I want to use a USB-Mic for talkback at my control-room desk (as most, if not all Interface inputs are taken).

These days, you would think that would be possible. Can VoiceMeeter accommodate this use case?
I will post the quest on their forum once my account is activated.
In the mean time, Is ASIO4All really the only option for me? or do you know of a way for VoiceMeeter to meet my needs?

1 Like

Hi. At the risk of moving the topic away slightly, I don’t think ADAT will be latency compensated. I’m talking about using the ADAT inputs on an audio device to connect say another 8 audio inputs. The extra inputs won’t be in phase with the inputs on the host device (even though the wordclock will keep them in sync) because the extra ADAT device will add further signal processing delay, and that delay will depend on the ADAT device as well. This will be small, e.g. 2ms, and in theory could give you phase issues if there’s bleed across all channels. AVB and RedNet or simply using several devices from the same manufacturer guarantees that all inputs are in phase and in sync. So, that’s why I’d like to see a reworking of ASIO so that multiple devices from different manufacturers can co-exist and provide in-phase and in-sync recording and playback.

Looking at Linux, there is jack-audio, a low latency audio driver overlay which works really great.
You can literally throw any sound source into it and pipe into your DAW.
Multiple interfaces are supported .

I know they have a Windows version, although I never tried it. Also, I’m not sure how Windows would handle different interfaces to throw at Jackaudio since under Linux it involves terminal use.

But yes, it would be very nice to get ASIO support for multiple interfaces in Windows.

1 Like

that will really be great to have multiple audio interfaces connected to cubase,i also had a FR for it awhile ago.
i think Motu interfaces also have asio driver that can be use multiple Motu devices.
i think its a Windows design that dont allow this, but maybe some Asio development from steinberg can overcome this ?
at least for a start to have their own hardware and yamaha’s to share Asio driver,
so for example i can have my UR44 +Mr816+yamaha MOXF keyboard used in cubase all together