Multiple audio interfaces

I don’t know if it is possible but it would be nice to use 2 (or more) audio interfaces at the same time
Just like MIDI interfaces. I have a midex8 and an ESI M8U active at the same time. It would be nice if this would also be possible for audio interfaces.

That’s a driver issue, not a Cubase one. Eg, you might be able to create an aggregate device (Mac terminology) using ASIO4ALL. But I wouldn’t recommend it. Some manufacturers support multiple-interface setups with their standard drivers (RME, Focusrite, MOTU…). You’re better off just buying the appropriate hardware for the job…

To keep latency low and give Cubase a chance to take care of latency compensation the ASIO interface can activate only one driver (i.e. one interface) at a time.

As far as I know there is no USB audio interface with a driver that supports cascading - mainly for system load and latency reasons.

There are Firewire audio interfaces which may be cascaded (e.g. MR816 from Steinberg resp. Yamaha).

I think low latency and system load is not an issue anymore. Nowadays the processor power is enough to do the job. Besides that the most processing is done in the audio interface itself rather than in Cubase. If system load would really be the problem then features as realtime wave drawing in the tracks while recording and other realtime processing would be an issue also. I think MHoughton is right: it’s more like a driver issue.

As you write correctly it depends on your computer, your current task, workflow and external hardware. If you want to work in a real time environment with Cubase doing most of the processing you need to keep the roundtrip latency below 12ms. With a high numer of I/O channels (talking of 16+) it’s still a task even for modern computers.

Driver issue is right, because of the above mentioned.

The whole latency thing is only really a huge problem if you want to play instruments or have artist monitoring in real time. And the latter is usually catered for by the interface routing anyway (mix DAW output with monitor input channels). If you’re mixing, there’s a tiny lag on fader moves etc but it’s not really a problem.

I still reckon that you’re best off getting the right tool for the job, though. An interface with ADAT is pretty cheap now, as is an ADAT expander. And an Antelope Orion 32 looks a very nice solution for those needing massive IO. Though note AFAIK Cubase still fails to handle RME interfaces with ADAT expansion properly in terms of latency compensation. Not had a chance to check that with Pro 8 (which I have only installed on Mac + different interface to date) but I’ve found nothing in the literature to suggest that’s changed).

Well, it’d be nice if it could be done of course!!

Talking of the right tool, I’m using a MOTU 2408 with PCIe + a MOTU 24io. All bought 2nd hand, total cost of £550+£350. I think they offer stunning value for money!! That’s 32 analogue I/O channels with another 16 ADAT channels available (I have ADATs too but I’ve only ever used them for archiving old ADAT recordings). Theoretically I could still add another 2 x 24io to give me up to 96 channels!! That would be easily under £2000 as well.

Mike.

Mike.

Well… it is possible… on OSX!

Yeah, the MOTU stuff was pretty good value — I used to run a PCI424 plus 2*24IO at one point. Great other than for the fact that the jack sockets were too close together! (couldn’t use all my Neutrik looms with the desk; had to buy cheaper connectors!) Not a problem on the 2408 but worth knowing about if you’re thinking of picking up a 24IO.