Multiple CD's in one project

Hi there,

I’m trying to master a double album but can’t seem to figure out how to have 2 CD’s in one project. I’ve put the tracks of album one in group A and the tracks of album 2 in group B but there’s no option to render 2 DDP’s. What am I forgetting?

Thanks

Whenever I’m mastering a double CD, I make one montage per CD.

You can render vinyl sides for single, double, triple (and more) from a single montage but as far as I know, you need to make a separate montage for each CD before creating the DDP.

The CD Track Groups are handy for designating and rendering vinyl and cassette sides, but I haven’t found a good use for them for CD masters.

1 Like

Thanks Justin. Well, then that’s a feature request :wink:

I came from HOFA, a second CD is automatically created when your project is too long to fit on one CD.

Maybe PG can confirm but I don’t know of a way to do it.

I do agree that for double CDs, it would be nice to designate Track Group A/B etc. so you can do double CDs from a single montage, just like we can already do for vinyl and cassette sides.

I haven’t had to do that, but…here’s what I would probably do.

1. Do the whole master in one montage ignoring the CD time limit. I’d probably put a generic marker at the start of disk 2. Use that for non-CD releases. I’d call it Artist - Album.
  2. Save a copy of the montage as Artist - Album - Disk 1.
  3. Save a copy of the montage as Artist - Album - Disk 2.
  4. Open …Disk 1, delete everything after the generic marker and replace it with a stop marker.
  5. Open …Disk 2, delete everything before the generic marker, convert the generic marker to a start marker, make sure ripple is on, move all the things to the start of the montage, and check you didn’t screw up marker quantization. But if your generic marker was quantized and winds up converted and moved to 0, you shouldn’t have.

That should be the simplest way I can think of.

Yeah, that’s basically what I do when have to do a multiple CD set. Some of the reissues I do are 3 or 4 CDs. I guess I’m just kind of used to the WaveLab workarounds but since one montage is ideal for the main streaming/digital master and we can even render many vinyl sides from a single montage, it only makes sense for WaveLab to be able to create more than one DDP from a single montage by defining CD track groups.

It might currently be possible and I’m just not seeing a way but I don’t think it is.