Multiple repeat marker jumps

I’ve been trying to enter the following repeat marker(s) with custom text without much luck:

1st time: to Coda 1 (single coda symbol)
2nd time: to Coda 2 (double coda symbol)

As I understand it, word wrap is not available for repeat marker jumps, so you need to enter this as two separate repeat markers, however, it doesn’t seem possible to enter multiple repeat marker jumps on the same beat of a measure. Is this possible somehow, or do I have to resort to text and disregard correct playback at the moment?

The ability of the repeat popover to recognise modifiers such as 1st time and 2nd time, combined with word wrap for repeat marker jumps, would make these kinds of markers very easy to deal with, but multiple markers in the same place would go a long way.

1 Like

You cannot create two repeat markers at the same rhythmic position, and I can’t think of any way in which you could therefore get accurate playback. You will indeed need to use Shift+Alt+X system text for this at present.

OK, thanks, Daniel.

I find myself here in search of the same thing or something similar. Perhaps a consideration for the future.

I am working on a piece that has a D.S al D.S.S (double Segno) then at the end of the D.S.S., ‘To Coda’.

• The piece pays through letter D, at the end Letter D you repeat back to Letter C and Play Letter C to the end of Letter D 2 times (D.S. back to C, play 2 times), D.S.S. to Letter A and play to the end of Letter B, then jump ‘To Coda’. Letter B has 1st and second ending and and Letter C has a repeat, so repeat bars don’t really help me here.

I understand this type of roadmap is highly unconventional, but a lot of jazz/jazz fusion charts use these types of markings.

Robby

2 Likes

I have been using a workaround for the inability to create multiple repeat markers at the same rhythmic position. I create the second, third and fourth repeat markers at different rhythmic positions nearby and then I drag them to the correct rhythmic position to thus achieve accurate playback. My application is for responsorial psalms, where there is one refrain at the start and multiple verses. The repeat structure is Refrain, Repeat refrain, Section A (verse 1), refrain, Section B (verse 2), refrain, Section 3 (verse 3), refrain. I use multiple D.C. and TO CODA jumps co-located at the same rhythmic position. I have successfully exported mp3 files with correct playback using this approach. This may be old news for some, but I thought it worthwhile posting as there is still interest in this thread. I can provide an example if that helps.

Yes Paul! I would very much like to see how you do that as a have not been able to get that type of repeat structure to work. Many thanks.

This sounds reminiscent of the structure of “Hail Thee, Festival Day,” but not precisely.

1 Like

I’ve attached a screen shot of the stacked repeat markers,

the Dorico file, the exported PDF and the exported mp3.

You can see the repeat marker flags stacked on top of each other at the end of the refrain / beginning of Verse 1.
51c I will rise and go to my father - 2022-07-13 - 10-13.pdf (114.0 KB)
51c I will rise and go to my father.dorico (1.9 MB)

The mp3 is shared with this Dropbox link (too large to upload)

The accepted practice for Responsorial Psalm sheet music for the Catholic Church is to begin with the Response, which ends with a final double bar, then each verse ending with a D.C. The performance convention is the Response is always repeated at the start, then repeated after each verse.

The repeat Markers to achieve this playback are added as follows:

1. a “D.C.” at the end of the response.
  2. a “D.C. al Coda” at the end of Verse 1, with custom text “D.C.” and Jump To Index of “1”
  3. a “To Coda” with Marker Index “1” created a quaver after the end of the Response, Then Hidden (with Flag visible), then dragged to the correct rhythmic position.
  4. a “Coda” with Marker Index of “1” created at the beginning of Verse 2, then Hidden.
  5. a D.C. al Coda" at the end of Verse 2, with custom text “D.C.” and Jump To Index of “2”.
  6. a “To Coda” with Marker Index of 2 created a quaver after the end of the Response, then Hidden, then dragged to the correct rhythmic position.
  7. a “Coda” with Marker Index of “2” created at the beginning of Verse 3, then Hidden,
  8. a D.C. al Fine" at the end of Verse 3
  9. a “Fine” at the end of the Response.

I’ve tried many times to get the exact sequence to work for me but no luck. Thank you for sharing the details. That helps greatly! I’ll try it on some of my psalms and hymns as well. Thanks Paul.
David

I should mention that the placement of the Fine was step 0 and was in place before I wanted to stack things on top of it.

Is there a way to tell a D.S. al Coda to repeat twice before jumping to the Coda the way a repeat ending can be set to repeat multiple times? I sense there is not but would be happy to discover I am wrong.
letMyPeopleGo221112blanked.dorico (647.9 KB)

No, at the moment there’s no way to tell Dorico to play the same D.S. jump twice.

1 Like

yes, but there are ways around it