Multiple techniques in percussion maps

DaddyO, FWIW, I know I’ve mapped the different mallets types directly in the percussion map, but that may be another case where the design of the library allows or not such thing.
There’s no such thing as a standard in the way those libraries work, and it’s kind of painful for us musicians to sort this all out…

1 Like

Here’s a composite screen shot of my custom Playback Techniques so far. I’m sure it will morph over time as I gain in experience working with my new setup, this is just a first draft, and it’s not yet absolutely complete.

Prefix itr = iteration, as there are various instruments with presets that make such a general category useful. Likewise lup = lineup, which I am using with various composite instrument presets, for example Tutti Woodwinds or Low Brass Ensemble.

Thanks, Marc, I’ll try that. I’m still experimenting, so now’s the time for me to use an open approach to all options.

1 Like

Hi all, just wondering if anyone out there has perc maps for any of the VSL Synchron Percussion drums cymbals and gongs. Or even something remotely close to help make a start or analyze to help understand he process. Also there does not seem to a lot of resources on particular note heads for unpitched perc techniques as a guide to go off in one particular book or web resource I can find. Any help from all the wonderful Dorico users out there would be greatly received! Cheers from down under in Australia. Stay safe. Thanks Simon

My suggestion is to install VSL’s maps for Dorico, and start from the percussion maps supplied for the SE version. Far from complete, and differently mapped than the huge Synchron, but at least it should guide you to making a basic map.

Paolo

I really hope the way of editing percussion maps will be changed, and made similar to the way we program expression maps.

Currently, we have to start from the note. On that we add an instrument and a technique. If there are alternative names for that technique, we have to add an ‘alternative’ note variation.

Instruments and techniques remain the same for different percussion libraries. What changes is the mapping. In case we want to reuse an existing percussion map, we have to reprogram everything, since percussion maps start from the note.

If it worked like the expression maps (technique first, note last) we could duplicate an existing percussion map, and simply replace the target note for that technique. In case of alternative names or techniques (like Tremolo or Trill), just duplicate that line, replace the name or technique, and use the same target note.

It would make the hard task of programming percussion maps incredibly easier.

Paolo

3 Likes

Going back to the original question, one thing you don’t need is trill half-step/whole-step.
More generally, working with the VSL Percussion Pro (in Instruments Pro) and Dorico: to make a map for the concert toms, I made

• separate Expression Maps for high and low toms a) in order to switch to high or low and b) to enable x-fade on tremolo/trill.

• separate Percussion Maps for high and low (there are six high and seven low)

• in VIPro, I edited the matrix to move the high/low keyswitch an octave lower

• in Dorico, I created custom percussion kits comprising seven toms (five mounted – high, med-high, med, low-med, low – plus two floor toms – hi, low) and six toms (5+1)

• in Dorico, I created custom playing technique symbols for flams, drags & ruffs (likely I misheard the latter term, but so long as I know what I mean…) which correspond to the appropriate entry in the percussion maps.

On LH/RH, the patch has 4x round robin, so I don’t think I need to worry about trying to specify that. No harm in annotating the score without tying it to playback though.
*edited to add the percussion kit step

I don’t know why I’ve not done it earlier, but I opened a percussion map’s file with a text editor. The structure of each entry is exactly as I would have liked it to be:

• instrument id, technique, assigned to note, shown name

It should be easy to do all the editing via a text editor, instead of the integrated percussion map editor.

Paolo

Hi Paolo T.

Just revisiting this older thread. Did you end up having a successful mapping experience via text editor?

I would like to try some percussion mapping for various things and it would be great to do this in text!

If you don’t mind me asking do you have maps for the V.I. Series. Also, If you had to choose between a purchase. Would you get V.I. Series or Synchron Percussion 1-3.

I’m still a big fan of True Strike and Cineperc but unfortunately I can’t afford them. I have VSL exotic percussion which was a bonus library I got ages ago.

I do have HWOPUS which with EWQLSO has a lot of percussion. A guy from V.I. Control created a Cubase Drum Mapper excel script which I wish I could use for Dorico. A text edit solution might be half way towards easier though.

Cheers Simon

I’ve not done any extensive work on my maps this year, but for what I could see editing the text file seems to work.

I don’t use the original presets, so all my maps are strictly personal, like a toothbrush.

Both the VI Series and the Synchron Series percussion are very good. This latter has the advantage of percussions recorded in a very reverberant space (but always clear, never confused). The former has more instruments, techniques, mallets/sticks. I mix both, when using Synchron.

The VI-Series offers more flexibility, in case you need to place your instruments into alternative spaces. The Synchron Series has its room baked in. Some of us users are experimenting in using the Synchron Series (close and mid mics) with other reverbs, notably MIR 3D, but I’m personally not come to a conclusion on the feasibility.

Paolo

1 Like

I just have the VI percussion – got a good price in one of their promotions. But Paolo’s comments about sticks and the variety of instruments was a factor too.