MultiTap delay sounding on left issue

Same problem here, I’m still on Cubase 11.

Default settings, problem exists with both the base delay, and tap delay.

If you look at the meters, you wont see any difference in level between L and R channels, but if you record the ouput of the plugin onto a track and look closely, one will see a timing offset between the L and R channels and the offset grows.

Use a 1/2bar time on the base delay.

I think there must be some sort of weird phasing going on as well, because the meters are the same, but for me, the right channel is audibly disappearing.

there’s no fx modules turned on, no panning, no width fx, etc. Just dry base delay.

I’m going to have to buy D16 Tekutron as an alternative if this isn’t patched.

btw, Im on Windows.

I would point out that your test is insufficient because you are hard panning left / right for each tap, this signal is only going to one or the other.

For this test, use no taps/no panning, and just the 1/2 base/offset delay.

Pretty much the issue is, there is no symmetrical center stereo-balanced/mono delay setting, it always gradually goes left and the right channel falls out of phase or something.

In Cubase 12, the left and right channels match exactly if you set the Spatial knob to 0%:

The Spatial parameter is creating a delay time diffence between left and right channel. If you don’t want that, set Spatial to 0%.

1 Like

ahaaaaaaaaa I see,

It begs to be pointed out though… Isn’t it kind of strange in itself that the spatializer has this effect? I think the algorithm could be improved on a bit… Is it only an expanding timing offset? Depending on what type of sound is inputted, could and is causing phase issues.

Perhaps a bit of modulation, different order subtle distortions, slightly different EQ curves… some more things should be going on under the hood to differentiate the two channels from phase cancelling each other.

That’s the idea behind it.

That’s called the Precedence effect, or HAAS effect. One channel is slightly delayed to trick the brain in thinking the audio comes from one side, giving the impression of “stereo”.

The result is different depending if you listen to it with speakers or headphones, and if the initial signal is mono or stereo. Depending on the audio material and delay amount this can cause phase issues.

There’s nothing that can be improved about that, except by having a completely different spreading technique.

I know what it is, it’s just fairly rare in modern times to encounter it in its rawest form because of its inadequacies.

Maybe give us a ‘I’ and ‘II’ mode buttons next to the control for a different algorithm with less potential phase issues @andreasm ?