MusGlyphs: Bravura for writing in time signatures and other glyphs

It can be merged but it’ll requires some hardworking :wink: I’m glad that I contributed to Dan’s font. Thanks Dan :smiley:

I will try to add multirests shapes and few others music symbols. I will also try to add a way to encircle and to box numbers too.

There’s already a great font for that, Brill.

Which just reinforces my point: a specialized font shouldn’t try to do too much. It’s easy enough to switch to a different font for a different need. I say keep them small when possible. Especially where intuitive keystrokes are the goal.

1 Like

Dan,

I downloaded your Dorico glyphs. Can you please provide a brief description on how to install these in Dorico?
Thanks for your time and artistry.
Ben

You don’t really install it in Dorico per se. Just install the font and use it as a standard text font.

1 Like

Thanks for the quick reply.
I will Google how to install the font.
Thanks again!

Dan, one funny thing about your readme on github: if the font isn’t installed already, the readme doesn’t display the symbols, so it just says! “22 = 22” for instance. Perhaps it should be rendered as a PDF or have the ligatures imported as graphics. Someone who looks at the readme before installing the font might be confused.

Ha! Quite so. Good catch.

Edit: uploaded a PDF instead, which should display correctly.

I’ve uploaded a video overview: (1) MusGlyphs Overview - YouTube

7 Likes

Dan please correct norfonts.ma not .com :wink:

Small glitch in the video, when talking about whole notes you say whole rests.
Congrats on this great tool.

1 Like

The video was excellent. Thanks, Dan.

I did notice one thing in the video: it looks like the sixteenth note glyph is smaller than the eighth & quarter (notehead and stem height).

Thanks, I just fixed that today and will update soon.

1 Like

Thanks for your work, Dan. I just exported a pdf from Word, and MusGlyphs seems to not render as clearly as Calibri. Am I missing something or is this just the way it is?

Hmm, it is exporting smoothly for me. I performed the same function: export from Word to PDF.

Thanks for the feedback on MusGlyphs. I won’t post much more about it, but just an update to say that version 1.23 is now posted . I’ve changed some of the key bindings to make them more intuitive (I think).

Also, I uploaded a cheat sheet PDF for version 1.23. If you find any issue with kerning or anything else, please let me know. I’ll update it periodically.

6 Likes

Update: I’ve added support for chord symbols, including the circle and slash-circle for diminished/half dim, and that triangle thing for jazz people.

Right now everything is full size and aligned to the baseline… If there’s enough request for superscript and such for chord symbols, I can look into that.

I plan on using this part of it for my own chord charts.

2 Likes

Hey Dan!

Is there any chance of you finding the time to align stem lengths for beamed and unbeamed notes? I can use MusGlyphs for swing indication now, but it would look nicer if the beamed eights were as high as the unbeamed ones…
But MusGlyphs is already pretty fancy as it is, of course!!

Thanks!!
Benji

Hi Dan,
The Github otf for MusGlyphs is ostensibly 1.26 but the install seems to be 1.25.
Screen Shot 2021-04-03 at 9.34.26 AM

Oops, good catch. Sorry, I’m new at this. It says 1.25 but it probably 1.26.

I’ve figured out it’s best to slow down and wait push out versions…

Working on chord symbols:

2 Likes