MusGlyphs: Bravura for writing in time signatures and other glyphs

Hi Dan,
great project!

It would be great if some noteheads that identify special techniques were included (diamond, open diamond etc.).

Great idea. Which ones do you think would be the most universally used?

Hi Dan,
thanks for your courtesy!

I would suggest:

• diamond notehead (my preference is Diamond half notehead (wide) U+E0DA). From string harmonics to breathing sounds, itā€™s pretty ubiquitous. I would add the U+E0DC Diamond black notehead (wide) too.
  • x notehead (X notehead black U+E0A9). It would be great to have crosses through stems, too.
  • no noteheadā€¦ only the stem.
  • Square notehead ( white and black) U+E0B8, U+E0B9 (quite often they are found in contemporary music works).

To have the harmonic circle to use over notes, could be also useful.

I would stop here (and maybe more suggestions will come).

Thanks!

Noteheads only, or with stems?

This is extremely useful and awesome, thanks Dan! If I may make two more suggestions:

• 8ba for those who are etymologically opposed to using 8vb
  • turns with accidentals above/below

Both would be perfect ā€¦ But if the commitment becomes too heavy then just noteheads (except the ā€˜no noteheadā€™)!

Thanks again Dan!

Thanks Dan, great work

Iā€™m getting really close to being done with this font, but there are two problems that have me totally baffled. Would any font wizards be able to take a look at this? Most recent version is here.

1. typing ub should produce an upbow symbol. It previews correctly in Font Creator, but it does not work correctly when I install the font.

2. Qdb/ should produce a diamond notehead with no stem. It displays correctly in Word, but when I export to PDF, it displays the Qdb ligature with a slash after it. Oddly enough, when I type the same ligature in Dorico and output it as PDF, it does display correctly.

I think Iā€™m going crazyā€¦ any ideas?

I donā€™t know if it will help, but viewing and exporting to pdf works fine in Affinity Publisher and Pages (both on Mac).

It probably wonā€™t help solving the problem, but I can confirm typing ub in Word displays
grafik
Qdb/ produces the expected
grafik
When exporting to PDF with Adobe PDF I get the correct diamond notehead:
grafik
Same behaviour in Dorico. If you use the Dorico PDF driver but another one in Word may explain the different results. The upbow symbol was displayed correctly in MusGlyphs 1.26!

Thanks everyone for the helpful feedback. MusGlyphs is now available on Notation Central, for free or donation: MusGlyphs - Notation Central

Iā€™m pretty much done with it for now, except for fixing any kerning issues or other problems. That said, feel free to continue making suggestions for future improvement. And sorry this ended up being such a bloated threadā€¦ :sunglasses:

1 Like

Dan, this is great, thanks!
But is it just me, or is the half note stem longer than the one of the quarter note?
And the upbow symbol was indeed correct in 1.26!

Thanks again,
Benji

Hi Benji, I can see that. Iā€™ll correct it in the next release.

The upbow symbol was correct, but I did a major overhaul of the glyph names and used latn_liga OpenType instead of manual, so all the ligatures got recalculated. It should be correct now though.

Just purchased! This is a godsend for tests and worksheetsā€¦ :relaxed:

B.

Just purchased it too :slight_smile:

Purchased as well! Thank you for the effort!

Would it be possible to add quartertone sharp and quartertone flat to the accidentals? Those are very often needed in the first page of the score:

Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 12.11.41 Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 12.11.27

For some reason these combinations did not work for me:

rr
dim

Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 12.13.14

Everything else I tested worked beautifully, itā€™s a brilliant tool to have!

Iā€™m not sure if ā€œdimā€ all by itself is supposed to do something, this Ā° will need ā€œdim0ā€.
But I can confirm the half rest not appearing.

B.

It is supposed to be a hairpin - ā€œcrescā€ works for me as expected:

Screenshot 2021-04-07 at 12.46.06

Ah, but I was referring to the supposedly latest character map here: https://www.notationcentral.com/product/musglyphs/

:slight_smile: B.

That is the same character map that I have - it has hairpins listed in the dynamics -section. Anyway, I donā€™t think I will ever need the hairpins, so this is not an issue for me :slight_smile: