Music across the double page spread?

I’m trying to copy a score that has the music ‘flowing’ across both pages of a spread. So 3 systems to a page, left, right, left right, left right.

It seems like the Frame Order count resets itself on a new page, so I can’t just set the Frame Order to alternate.

Any tips?

Don’t do it, man!

(I appreciate this is not helpful in any way. It’s just that…no good can come of it. Feel free to down-vote me into oblivion.)

cheers
Jeremy

I know: it’s for a very special use case. The left-hand page of the manuscript is actually missing, so I only have every other 5 bars or so of the music…!

I want to create a document that shows the missing side as blank, in order to reconstruct the missing bars.

I could fake it with a blank staff page of the left, but then things will be out of order.

It’s possible that Dorico isn’t set to cope with this!

Do you need page numbers for this?

No: and it’s only 2 pages in total. Are you thinking doing it backwards and then swapping the PDF pages?

I’m very confused… I can’t picture what you’re trying to achieve based on your description.

The one workaround that I can think of: set up your page as having double the actual width, and then you can draw your Frames whichever way you like without losing sequence.

You can’t have properly working page numbers with that, though (and probably a few other features that might or might not be relevant).

What about making it one big page in Dorico? DIN A3 landscape (or the American equivalent).

Incidentally, this format is not that unusual. For example many of the examples in Schenker’s Five Graphic Music Analyses (Dover) are placed continuously over the whole two page spread.

1 Like

Yes, that may have to be the way. Thanks.

Imagine this is two pages of a book, instead of one large page.

(Now I’ve just got to reconstruct the missing bars!)

Hi John

Thanks for pointing out the Schenker. Are you aware of any published music (as opposed to graphic analyses of music, which aren’t) that uses this format? I’ve never seen it.

J

The only instance I can think of that comes remotely close is a page of Elliott Carter’s Piano Concerto, where there is so much divisi in the strings that the score is spread over two pages and you have to rotate it 90 degrees.

There is a famous letter from Stravinsky to Carter praising this concerto where he writes "but I can’t claim have heard every note on [this page] (paraphrase).

1 Like

As opposed to benwiggy’s example, some the Schenker analyses have the staves running continuously across the two pages in landscape orientation without a break.

JHughs, there are probably examples of this format both in portrait and landscape in avante garde piano music. Perhaps someone more knowledgable about that literature would know. Stockhausen Klavierstueck XI has many short units spread over a single very large page in landscape format, but that is a little different.

Miniature scores of late romantic orchestral works sometimes do what rkrentzman describes. For example, from Strauss’ Don Quixote in the Eulenberg miniature score:
Strauss DOn Quixote.pdf (3.3 MB)

1 Like