[Music] New York Blues

This track has been in the making for a bit, but it is finally ready. I feel like I gave birth, and I still have another bun in the oven that I hope to release in a week or so. Heh.

Vocals by Glyn. Organ by Peter. These guys gave this song the personality that it needed, and I am so happy to have had them collaborate with me on this. :smiley:

Both the rhythm and lead guitar tracks were played pick-less. This is the first time Iā€™ve tried lead without a pick, and it was definitely an interesting experience in a good way. I have no idea how I managed to get those artificial harmonics in the solo, but Iā€™m not complaining. :smiley:

Iā€™ve got the Chelsea Blues
Donā€™t know what to do
Because I lost my job now

I said I got the blues
Donā€™t know what to do
Because I lost my job now

When I came to work yesterday my boss let me go
Iā€™m in a bad spot now donā€™t you know
And now Iā€™ve got no money to spend now

When they find me tomorrow
After Iā€™ve left this world behind
How will they find me?

Iā€™ve got the Brooklyn Blues
Donā€™t know what to do
I got no place to live now

I said I got the blues
Donā€™t know what to do
I got no place to live now

ā€˜Cause Iā€™m way behind, far behind, behind on my rent
Donā€™t you know I need some heaven sent
Or someone to give me some money now

How will they find me?

Solo

Iā€™ve got the Soho Blues
Donā€™t know what to do
Because my baby left me

I said I got the blues
Donā€™t know what to do
Because my baby left me

She said sheā€™s leaving, sheā€™s going, leaving me behind
What will I do? Iā€™m going out of my mind
I need to find me some loving now

How will they find me?

New York Blues

Gear:
Guitar: Strat > EnVoice MK II > Guitar Rig Pro 5 > Cubase
Bass: Fender Jazz > EnVoice MK II > Cubase
Drums: Jamstix 3 > Battery 4 > Cubase
Horns: Kontakt 5 stock horns, arranged by me

I donā€™t recall exactly Glyn or Peterā€™s equipment, so Iā€™ll leave that to them to reveal. :slight_smile:

This sounded great really loud on my system, loved the guitar soloā€¦real pro sound, drums a bit far away for me but, heyā€¦just greatā€¦how do you sing like that ? Kevin

I donā€™t. That was Glyn Powell singing. :mrgreen: Thanks for the compliment on the guitar solo - it was my first time doing it without a pick so I was in new territory. My pride and joy, however, is the bass tone I was able to get.

I understand your point about the drums. Hereā€™s my mixing ā€œphilosophyā€ regarding drums: because there are a lot of high frequency components to a drum kit (snare, hi-hat, cymbals) they can easily take over the entire mix since higher frequencies = higher energy = draws your focus to them. However, you need the snare to keep the beat at least since thatā€™s what gives people the sense of timing more than anything. So, I keep the kick and snare up a bit and push everything back a bit to keep the mix ā€œcleanā€ (subjective term, I realize).

Iā€™ll have to double check, but I can swear I kept it near +0-+2 in the K-14 scale. I hope I didnā€™t screw that up.

Iā€™ll have to double check, but I can swear I kept it near +0-+2 in the K-14 scale. I hope I didnā€™t screw that up.[/quote]

you just lost me with that there techno speakā€¦ :blush:

how come when i try to do a quote I always get it wrong ? :frowning:

K-14 is one of a family of specifications that attempted to deal with inconsistencies in perceived loudness of audio material. The -14 refers to the reference upon which 0 is based. It was developed by Bob Katz, and has since been superseded by EBU-R128, which was developed in the U.K. (if memory serves me correctly).

Basically, if you keep the weighted RMS (calculated using the Katz algorithm) near +0 then your music will appear to be at a consistent volume from track to track.

K-12 is used for radio broadcast material
K-14 for most musical genres
K-20 for orchestral work

Youā€™ll find the paper that spawned all of this here: http://www.aes.org/technical/documentDownloads.cfm?docID=65

There are several VSTs available that show you the ā€œloudnessā€ of your mix. I use Blue Cat Audioā€™s Peak Meter Pro and insert it in one of the post fader slots on the master bus. Change the display settings to K-14 and pow! Note that this VST doesnā€™t support EBU-R128.

Ok thanks for the infoā€¦will look into itā€¦Kevin

Hey Larry,

Like the song and the mix works really well. I think the lyric rhymes were ā€œout thereā€ a bit but the vocalist is certainly a keeper. :wink:

Heh. At least Iā€™ll never be accused of being a conformist with my lyrics. Hahaha

Thanks for listening!

well done Larry, enjoyed the collab :smiley:

I recorded my 40 year A100 hammond with a 145 Leslie using 2 AKG 414 micā€™s in a X/Y config.
I am using 2 bellari RP 533 pre amps into a MOTU 24/IO

regards peter

Awesome! Thanks for the information!