[Music] Soul Man

foolmon is the copyright holder for the content, the content being his cover of an existing song still under copyright. The free download on the website is questionable since it is a cover. Rules two and three refer to if he were to post someone elses cover or the original song or anything that he didn’t do himself where he wouldn’t own the copyright. Then he’d be in violation of those two rules. But covering a song still gives you the copyright of the cover, you simply can’t do anything with that cover without permission.

I doubt the original artist/record label will hunt someone down for posting their cover on this site, the manner of conversing is more educational than marketing. Might be a little different on Youtube if someone had advertising revenue enabled, then the original copyright holder of the song that is being covered would be entitled to that.

Do you personally have an issue with people doing arrangements/covers of other peoples songs? There are numerous famous bands/composers that actively watch covers of their own music and even comment expressing their enjoyment. They certainly don’t seem to have a problem with people covering their music/songs :stuck_out_tongue:

Like posting it online on a forum that expressly forbids it? :wink:

It’s thievery, no matter how it’s colored. :confused:

If you really think it’s that big a deal then make a complaint ticket to Steinberg, it’s their decision and not yours. Are you trying to get some sort of thrill by acting as an authorative figure across the internet? I can’t see why out of all the different threads for music here you’d solely comment on this just to point out the rules to someone, which you are misinterpreting.

Covering a song is not thievery at all. You sound very immature and uneducated in these kinds of laws.

:laughing: @ the Cover Police.

Wasn’t that a Cheap Trick album or something?

You must be looking in a mirror. I have reported it. Funny how people think it’s funny when they steal from others. Shows no character.

(I also think it’s funny when people who were banned from this forum still manage to circumvent the rules and come back to cause trouble. Hypocritical much?)

Once again, you do not understand these laws at all. As I said, the free download of the cover is the only questionable part as that falls under distribution laws. But most covers increase the market demand for songs, so publishers actually like that kind of free marketing.

If you feel the need to report all of the 40,000 covers of songs uploaded to Youtube every 24 hours because they are “stealing from others” then go ahead. It will at least take up so much of your time that you will not be able to bring your negativity here. You’ll also be so consumed with your petty vindictiveness and concerning yourself on what others are doing (don’t even get me started with a psychological analysis on that) that you’ll never be creative or successful.

Do you know who this user is foolomon? I remember I posted an arrangement of a Snow Patrol here some time ago and some guy got upset about it for “stealing” too. He’d never ever posted one thing in this section of the forum before, which I found amusing.

I know you aren’t talking to me. Funny how mad people get because they have no talent to make their own music and have to steal other’s. Done with this thread and forum, don’t want to be around thieves. Wish they’d all get cancer of the eyes.

BTW, I’m guesting myself. You didn’t have anything to do with it. :wink:

You obviously have no idea how websites work if you think switching to “guest” mode will make any previous, current or future posts untraceable that it originated from your IP. All guest does it hide it to other users, not the logs nor the administrators of the website. So if you wish to cower behind a guest user id then go ahead, continue wishing us all horrific cancer induced deaths.

Anyway, I can listen to the music and hopefully give a few comments now that this Negative Nancy (as I shall henceforth call him) has disappeared back to the gutters whence he came from :laughing:

:laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

Firstly, I have plenty of talent and have written several originals. Anyone who is a regular in here (including yourself) should know that.

Secondly, Jonathan is correct. I have been an admin on other, much larger websites, and have used IT forensics to trace former employees who posted disparaging comments about our customers.

Well, these Negative Nancy’s are at least mildly entertaining in a hopeless kind of way :laughing:

Anyway, I’m not really familiar enough with the original to do any comparisons in that respect. But the main thing that stood out to me was the bass guitar didn’t seem bassy enough.

I don’t know what the original guitar parts are like (if any) but they sound fine to me, the distorted and broken riffs sound good with that sound.

The vocals also sound good overall for that bluesy kind of sound, although at some points they are a little quiet, particularly the chorus they could do with being a little louder for clarity.

No idea on the drum stuff since I’ve never used the programs named in any of the above posts so I don’t think I could add anything to that.

Still, sounds good overall and I imagine you had fun recording it :slight_smile: Well done.

I think I’ll be off until after New Year so happy xmas and New Year foolomon and to anyone else reading.

Thanks for the thoughts on the song and the mix. I’ll have another listen to the chorus to see if the vocals need tweaking on the EQ or simply a volume boost.

By the way, this version is quite different from the original (Sam and Dave) and the most popular cover (Blues Brothers) that a comparison to either of those would be pointless.

I think “double naught spy” now Mr. Guest was either the Mitten or his trusty sidekick. :wink:

Larry, are you doing a Christmas song this year? Last year’s was a hit. :sunglasses:

I don’t care who it was. I know that Soul Man was written by someone else originally, but I have a story to share in response:

In 1993, I coauthored a book called The Art of OS/2 2.1 C Programming. After OS/2 3.0 (“Warp”) was released, we decided it was time to update the book. Even though technically it was a 2nd edition of the first book, it contained a full 50% new content. So it became a new book entitled The Art of OS/2 Warp Programming because it was sufficiently different from the first edition that it was a new book in its own right.

This is related to the Sam and Dave song by title and the words sung, but the song itself is far enough removed from the original and even the Blues Brothers’ version that it is a new song in its own right, regardless of what the trolls would have us believe.

As far as Christmas goes, I posted a link earlier tonight:

Have a listen and please comment! My daughter will be recording her own vocal track for it that’ll be the “official” release as part of the tradition, but I’m happy enough with the song that I wanted to keep my own vocal on a version of the song.

Larry - as they say, “it doesn’t matter what they say about you…as long as they’re talking about you!”

I wish I had your gift for self promotion. You’ve got more replies to this song than any thread on all of page one - and the only one that came close benefitted from a religious controversy! :laughing:

I suspect you may even -be- the person who called you a talentless thief - ya know - to get things rolling. :sunglasses:

I think you may have even deliberately buggered up the drum track to trick people like me into making repeated replies to try to get them “sorted”. :wink:

I applaud your skill, and I’m watching you closely to try to learn a few tricks for my next song post. :slight_smile:

Hahaha yeah that’s how I roll beotch. :stuck_out_tongue:

BTW congratulations on the gig in Guam…or was it Walla Walla? I forgot. But the pictures came out nice. :stuck_out_tongue:

That’s the spirit, Larry!!

The gig was in the land of the Ice and Snow - we played in the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.
As I left my house, bass in hand, I cried “Valhalla, I am coming!!!” (It was Toronto) :stuck_out_tongue:

I’ll be posting some video shortly. :sunglasses:

Yay @ video!