Music symbols editor scaling issue

Apologies if this has come up before, though I wasn’t able to find it if it has.

In the music symbols editor (and the playing techniques editor, perhaps in other similar editors as well), I seem to be having an issue where changing the value of X scaling doesn’t have any effect (I tried on several different object types and glyph categories, all to the same result). Additionally, Y scaling does scale the object, but it does so proportionally for both X and Y (just like clicking and dragging), even though the displayed X value doesn’t change. X and Y offset work just fine.

I tried to see if this is the case in any of the youtube videos, and it’s hard to say. The only instance of this specific part of the feature being used is in the video introducing it, and the change to the X scaling that Anthony makes is small enough that it may not have shown a change at that zoom level (though an identical change in Y value did - see here at about 3:20 - Music Symbols Editor in Dorico Pro | New Features in Dorico 2.2 - YouTube).

Is this the same for others? Are those values supposed to be independently editable?

If you’re using text or glyphs, you can only scale the symbol by the same amount in the X and Y dimensions. Graphics can be scaled independently on each axis.

I would like to revive this old topic and ask, if there are any plans, to make it possible to scale the X and Y dimension of text independently.
My use case would be:
Since Version 1.4 the SMuFL standard has a “Single stroke caesura” (U+E4D7), which is a bit tall for my taste. If I scale it down, it get’s to thin. Therefore it would be great, if the dimensions could be scaled independently. There are probably some other cases as well, where this could be useful.
Here is a comparison of the my old method (Staccatissimo stroke above) and the new caesura.

I worked hard for this addition to the SMuFL Standard and now I would like to be able to use it. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Here is the example file, just in case someone wants to look into it.
Zäsur neu.dorico (619.6 KB)