Music symbols

Is there a way to create custom articulations?

If not: Is there a way to position music symbols automatically?

Is there a way to apply music symbols to a group of notes at once?

Yes, you can create your own tonality systems, including accidentals and key signatures. In the Operation Manual, start here:

Sorry, I meant “articulations”, not accidentals :see_no_evil:

Aha, then no, you cannot, but creating custom playing techniques should be a reasonable substitute.

I suppose you could find an articulation you didn’t plan to use, and swap it out in the Music Symbols editor for whatever glyph you wanted.

Ok, what about my other 2 questions (automatic positioning of music symbols, applying music symbols to a group of notes at once)?

Every symbol is ‘positioned automatically’, depending on what type of thing it is, and the rules that govern them in Engraving Options.

Broadly, yes, but again it will depend on what music symbols you’re talking about. If you’re talking about Playing Techniques, then you can define them to appear as separate symbols on each note of a selection, or as a symbol (or text) followed by a line for the duration.

You may find it useful to have a look at the basics of Playing Techniques, and how they are used, and then start thinking about creating your own symbols.

I am e.g. talking about upbow-downbow symbols which I cannot apply to a set of notes at the moment.

That’s right, you can’t create multiple upbow or downbow playing techniques in a single operation at the moment. You can use Alt+click to copy one quickly to multiple locations, but there’s no way to add them in lots of places all at the same time.

Thank you for the alt-tip!

Actually, there is another method that might be useful:

1. Duplicate the existing Up-Bow technique.

2. Modify it, setting the “Continuation” to “Repeat the Signs”.

Screenshot 8

Then you can select a continuous range, and each note will get a sign.

2 Likes

Great - in fact that’s it!