My honest thoughts regarding VST connect

Hi,

I’ve used VST connect since version 4

my use case is remote recording with voice talents for - Dialogue dubbing.

problems I faced many times :

• long setup as it will be always dependent on the cooperation of the talent and usually my instruction starting with downloading performer and creating Steinberg account
    then installing performer, and instruction to login / add me or accept friend request/ then to accept connection request…

• setting up the audio usually this is the most difficult part as it vary according to the scenario

I found that if the talent is not using ASIO driver, using asio for all or any similar driver prolong the process even more and more.

• then testing :: I play audio/video and let the talent to record something to test the connection and to let the talent recognize the process . many times I got problem in this stage ( video stop playing , audio stopped playing , vst connect crashed, the talent cant hear me through the talkback)

reaching this point sometime takes more than 2 hours and end up by more problems/ crashes that end the idea of using VST connect or postponing the whole remote recording session.

it is ok to have long setup if it is ( one time setup ) but with every new talent I’ll face the same steps with the talent and same ( possible problems ).

some weird problems that happened with me multiple times ::

• video stopped working -ADR is not showing up to the talent, screen sharing sometime stopped working/ or even worse ( share my desktop or something I didn’t wont to share after stopping )

features in VST connect are great and no other app will give me all these features but the process and use is complex to be done with talents. and if I’ve to work with multiple talents everyday this will be too much time wasted to setup the system of every talent

other applications I used and what I liked/ what I didn’t

• audio mover ( Listento )
    what I like… is how simple to set up the mix and in one scenario I remember using 1 account to the supervisor on the complete mix, and one account for the talent in cue 1 and having the power of my control room,
    very fast to setup ( download this plugin- free- install, the open your DAW of choice ) , put the plugin here, login, and we’re ready to go.

the problems usually ( sharing video with audio at the same time, and usually we have to be in something like discord or skype for share screen and to communicate)

there are some other apps like Sessionwire and others are similar some has video call integrated, share screen integrated but Listento was the best in the simplicity in my opinion.

I think if we have the abillity of using VST connect as a ( VST ) in both studio and performer
to send/ and receive audio this will be great and practical for us.

or at least taking practicality, simplicity in mind for upcoming releases as we want to make it simple process especially for the performer

thank you

1 Like

Setup cannot be avoided. btw you may use the connect via ID method if you want to avoid talent to have to sign in.
We don’t want crashes, there should be crashlogs which we are eager to check so we can fix issues.
We checked with another pro studio, setup was less than 10 Minutes and no problems like you describe. Check the red LEDs, if they lit red often (except transport stop, that’s normal), you should check your connections. Avoid WiFi, or services and apps using network streaming on both sides

Explicitly not recommended. Also VST Connect features screen sharing internally.
Other than that, critisism is fine but suggestions are better :slight_smile:

I just posted this hoping vst connect to improve

and you know it is ok to setup everything once
but if you’re working with variable situations/ with multiple talents everyday it will be impractical

Thanks for your input. What would you suggest to improve your situation? You know, project settings are also stored on the Performer side so if you pick up on a session, you should not have to set up anything again. But we cannot avoid setting up the clients’ device, there is no protocol or automated process to do so; VST Connect is actually allowing you to set up the clients’ device remotely, which is pretty unique already.

I think one of the ideas that I think can improve a lot is the audio driver of VST Performer

for Windows : I think if it is possible for future to simplify audio setup on the performer side.

usually in situation where the performer is recording in well-prepared studio the setup is not that difficult but when when I’m dealing with a talent that is recording with himself with less than ideal setup, knowledge or some old audio interfaces that have very problematic drivers, or when the talent himself always using MME driver in application like reaper/ audition/ audacity.

yes it is not the best but it is really practical as an additional option in addition to ASIO driver.

also in many scenarios the moment the talent open the performer app. ( while I’m giving him instructions how to setup till he can connect with me ) the audio will stop playing and this usually happen with ASIO so if at least I can use MME for initial setup and then at the end I switch to ASIO this alone will solve many problems regarding the initial setup for the talent.

another thing is something I hope if we can see on upcoming version/ or maybe a new app
which is only send/ receive plugin for audio only, VST connect is great regarding features it capable to give but when the only thing we want is remote recording/ supervision or we’re using it with third party apps to share video/ or to communicate a simple audio send/receive will be a superior solution.

another thing is something I don’t know if already implemented. but sometime I want the talent to hear audio from Cue2 or a specific mix and I don’t know if this is possible with current VST connect.

finally stability, for sure I’ll be in touch with support team to get help regarding any re-current crashes I have in my upcoming uses.
but in general – like we use Nuendo or Cubase stable environment is always something we ask for.

and I hope if the crashes are fixable.

Checking if we can install the “Generic Low Latency ASIO Driver” which comes with Cubase and Nuendo, that should solve your first problem - half way, that is, because many notebooks etc have quite complex ‘mic arrays’ and the likes which makes it hard to choose input and output. We can only take the first offered and there is no guarantee that that works.
We do sort of assume that there are mainly 2 groups of Performer useres: a) the musician playing some instrument and/or vocals, and b) the Talent speaker for video applications. In both cases, when using the PRO version, we don’t expect the talent to use his or her headset for recording, but a decent mic and audio interface which always comes with an ASIO driver. So while I see your point, to get to set this up you might just as well use your phone, because setting up the system device and thereafter switching to another audio interface makes things more complicated imho.

I don’t get that. What audio stops playing on which end?

see above, even more complex, or?

There are tools for that, VST Connect is not designed for this, sorry. We may come up with a solution like that in the future, though.

But that is just the VST Connect Cue Channel mix. You can create a dedicated mix using Cue Sends in the Cubase/Nuendo Mixer. In Control Room, you can choose to send the Main Mix, or Cue Mix to the Performer, as well as Click volume etc. Right-click to find more options. When you use “Create Performer Track”, the cue send for that channel is automatically set to 0 dB, but you can change that, and with Cue PRE, create a mix entirely independent of your mixer faders.

That’s us, right here! pls send crash logs to me PM.

Sure, but we have to get to know of those in the first place, so pls send it in.
Thanks for your support!

Just checked, Generic Low Latency ASIO driver is installed with VST Connect Performer on Windows, so it should work right out of the box when using system devices. So what are we missing?

1 Like