My s49 Mk1 Komplete Kontrol 1.9 Automatic Track Focus doesn't work

Hello mlindeb,

It’s sad to see that NI support couldn’t solve this problem. As software developers,
they are still much more competent than us users to detect this kind of problem.
When you invest a certain sum in this kind of material, you only ask for complete satisfaction.
I’m sorry for your S61 but suddenly it scares me a little me who just bought the S88 955 euros…
Maybe there is an update to do? How long was your keyboard in good health before it started working less well?

I bought the S61 MKII in the end of 2017, so it’s not exactly brand new. But, it hasn’t been used all that much tbh. The keybed and controllers are what I initially bought the keyboard for and while I was intrigued by the Komplete Kontrol concept, the implementation and workflow never resonated with me.
The screens stopped syncing with the software a few weeks back, I thought it was the Cubase 12 install, but it didn’t work with the stand-alone version of KK so it’s probably not that. I don’t have the energy to spend days troubleshooting that keyboard again for a few features I hardly ever use anyway.
Just to be clear, I haven’t heard of anyone else with the same problem as I have (screens not syncing, but everything else is). I would still recommend their controllers. The semi-weighted Fatar keybed feels great as well as the mod-wheel and pitchbend-wheel. I like the endless encoders and the touchstrip is a welcomed addition that gets a lot of use (even though it’s hardly ever assigned in any of the 5 billion+ presets. Why?). Their customer support, although not able to identify the real cause of my issue at the time, were timely and friendly in their correspondence. I wouldn’t feel concerned if I were you. :slight_smile:

Indeed if you don’t need KK, the main thing is that the keyboard and the knobs work properly.
Yes I completely agree that they are good controllers at Native, and their software too. I had read a lot of positive reviews.
on their qualities, that’s what prompted me to buy this keyboard and Mashine MK3 which is also excellent. I have other controllers from other brands
who do not have this quality. There was just this little auto focus mishap but it is now resolved. It bothered me a bit because I like
Cubase. And then there are enough customizable parameters in Komplete Kontrol so that we can do without the instant VST Quicks Controls, so nothing serious.
It was just to be able to extend the possibilities of the controllers.
I’m happy to read good things about the NI service because I had seen reviews saying the opposite. So that’s still reassuring in case
of problems.
Thanks to you.

Thank you very much Arnaud for your resarch, it works for me too!!
It is really very big and important discover for all KK users, was 2 years
in troubles with this issue, now Im really happy!!!

Hello Alès_Zibelnik, I’m glad it can help. But after some research in Cubase, there is something easier to do. If you change the assignments of instant Quicks Controls VST, it is better not to change the parameters of page 1 but only from page 2. At this time, you switch to midi which is normal. And going back to page 1, we find Komplete Kontrol and its auto focus. If on the other hand the assignments of page 1 have been changed, therefore loss of auto focus, just open “Remote Control Editor” with a right click on the VST plug-in and click on the small arrow at the top right and select “Use factory default” and “apply”. In this way, the “Generic 8 Cells” file will be deleted automatically and return of auto focus. So be careful not to change the assignments on page 1 because if you delete the “Generic 8 Cells” file, all the assignments from page 2 will be deleted too.

Be careful not to modify the assignments of page 1 because if you delete the “Generic 8 Cells” file, all the assignments of the following pages will also be deleted.

Do you mean pages on KK controler settings or new Midi Remote settings in C12?
I set my endless potis to Quick controls 1-8 on page 1 of KK software and I dont lose autofocus even if I switch on keyboard from Plugin view to midi CC view and back again…
Sorry, you want to help but I dont understand what you want to explain…
Maybe you mean old legacy Cubase quick controls which I never used.

I tested after I deleted that xml file,
and my project that I did with broken autofocus is still broken, but when I open empty project and open more KK instances autofocus works OK.
Do you have also some trick for such broken autofocus project?:grinning:

for old projects, you have to reload Komplete Kontrol in the track inspector to find the auto focus as explained in my first comment.
But follow my last comment, it will go faster. Page 1 of the “Remote Control Editor” must have the default assignments and everything is in order. I tested it and it works. :slightly_smiling_face:

not the KK pages but the Remote Control Editor for instant VST Quicks Controls

By restoring the default values of the Cubase Remote Control Editor, all your old projects broken with KK will be repaired automatically, hence the interest of doing it like that.

I ll try it tommorow, thank you!

Ok you will get back to me tomorrow

I’m still on cubase 9.5.
Can I fix autofocus on this way on that version?
It sounds awfully complicated and I’m a fried if I tried to do your advice id ruin things further. I’m not a computer nerd or coder so just talented at GUI and above level.
Never used smart controls in cubase or edited NI gear with remote control editor….
Just want to fix my autofocus…
Btw I only have an s49 mk1

Hello slinksta, I never had a MK1 but try to do as I explained. Open Cubase’s Remote Control Editor: after creating a KK track, click on vsti on the top right of the project window. Then right click on the KK instance and open Remote Control Editor.
Then, click on the small arrow at the top right and select “Use the factory default configuration” and do “Apply”. At this point, we find the auto focus. Then save your project.
This operation is to be repeated for each old broken KK project. (always save the project afterwards to repair)

At best you get autofocus back, at worst it won’t make things worse.

Here are the steps how to restore broken KK VSTi autofocus.

I uploaded 2 pictures with 3 steps from @Arnaud88 for all
like me who needs a bit more to understand. I tryed it and
it works also for broken projects and repaire them:)

1. step is right click on upper right corner of KK VSTi Plugin and select “Remote Control Editor”
    2 and 3 step is click on refreshing arrow to get default factory setting + not forget Apply button.
  2. Test to change between instances of KK VSTi , autofocus should work!
  3. save your project.
  4. Of corse if you are using some user templates repair them too not to get in troubles again:)

Big Thank to @Arnaud88

1 Like

ah great Alès_Zibelnik :smiley: glad everything is working out. It was a shame not to be able to have complete satisfaction from KK.
I am currently doing my nks user previews for VSTi Tiers. If you need advice, ask me and I’ll give you the info. Unless you already know how to do it

No, I dont know, is it much work with that?
Do you have all sample previews on C disk partition and how much place it takes everything?

If we do this with the new user presets, it goes quickly. But it is on that if we make a complete VSTi, it can take time. I’m doing for ElectraX but I haven’t finished: 122 nks presets + 122 small audio samples = 244 files. Size on disk: 43 MB. For my part, it is not stored on the “C” partition but on another HDD because my “Documents” folder is on this HDD.
It’s interesting to have these sound previews in the KK Browser for VSTi that don’t have NKS

Fixed it. Thank you