The problem still seems to be there after the hotfix.
However, after doing a clean rebuild of ALL my prefs (I simply renamed the current prefs “OLD” and restarted nuendo) the problem disappeared. This does NOT explain why the prefs get muddled up, but it does seem to fix the issue. To me, the bug lies not just in what we are seeing, but in nuendo corrupting the pref files somehow. I wonder if this happens at “update time” or somewhere else along the while.
And as an added bonus, it made some other strange behaviors go away as well.
I realise having to go back to square 1 with prefs is a pain (!!!) but it seems to be well worth it.
Report back how you go with that. (Even if you just TEST with new prefs, but don’t have time to rebuild - you can easily go back to your old ones!)
After seeing this, I have rebuilt my prefs (which took a while) and then saved a copy of them, just in case I start to see the bahaviour once more - in which case I’ll just try copy in my saved “clean” prefs and see if that fixes things.