N13 Dolby Atmos Renderer - Customizable Downmix Configurations

I need configurable DownMix settings from the Downmix dropdown menu - or additional playback configurations.

I built a 9.1.4 mix room, but in order to get an accurate playback, I am in the position to either choose a 7.1.4 configuration or bypass the N13 renderer, in favor of the stand alone Dolby Atmos Renderer - which accommodates custom speaker configurations. Seems like this would be a fairly simply integration to add - or possibly it would be simpler to add a few more common/logical set-ups to the existing options.

Why don’t you use the Control Room? That’s what it’s for. You may need to adjust the signal flow to match the Atmos renderer.
We use virtual sound cards. This allows you to create your own layouts. Maybe that would be a solution for you?

I’m not sure what you mean by “Virtual Sound Cards” tell me more

My 9.1.4 set-up in control room is working great - Using an Apollo x16 then into a Trinnov room Processor -

My current plan is to work with the N13 renderer set for 9.1.6 - with the understanding it’s not a 1:1 configuration – I completely understand the missing audio will be negligible - I’m primarily interested in it being correct for my array, and hoping down the road a 9.1.4 option will be added to available configurations or the ability to make custom configurations will be added.

This is not a deal breaker by any means - I’m just looking for solutions and offering suggestions for future implementation.

If you use the control room, then everything fits. The important thing is that you have adapted the configuration in the CR to your speaker layout. The selection in the internal Atmos renderer has no effect on the master file. It only determines whether you want to listen to the renderer with a 9.1.6 layout or, for example, a 7.1.4 layout.
However, if you create a separate 9.1.4 layout in the Control Room, it will be the one used. The only important thing is that the level meters in the renderer will not work properly. (But they are not very helpful anyway, as small as they are.) And of course you have to keep in mind that the internal Atmos renderer will start downmixing for layouts smaller than 9.1.6. (This only applies to monitoring. The result is not written to the ADM master file.) In stereo, you will only get two channels. So you need to set the layout to 9.1.6 in the renderer to get all 16 channels, and then adjust the signal to your speaker layout in the CR. That’s it.

As long as you don’t make any mistakes when adjusting to your speaker layout, you won’t miss anything in your mix.

We use THIS HERE in some of our studios. Some computers also have ASIO Link Pro installed. There is other similar software available. Also for the Mac. Some even free.

Interesting. I downloaded “Matrix” and was about to play around with it but work got in the way. The one you use is pretty new I think.

How?

It’s basically the same as Matrix. Practically its big brother. If you buy Coconut, then you automatically have access to Matrix. Compared to Matrix, Coconut offers even more devices and connections. I wouldn’t want to be without this program. Especially as its price is extremely fair.

In practice, we use Coconut to mix and distribute the signal correctly. But using MixerDelay in the CR should also work. If you only have four speakers on the ceiling instead of six, you will lose the Tsl/Tsr speakers when using the 9.1.6 layout in the renderer. Their signal must be distributed proportionally to the front/rear top speakers. (I don’t remember the value.)

Oh I see.

To me it would make sense to just get the standalone Dolby software and run signal through that since you get the ability to set up arrays and have room correction etc., or use an interface that offers it. I think probably both Antelope and Lynx offer it.

This is all interesting – and thanks for the discussion – It’s still not clear to me where the the I/O configurator (Matrix) is inserted in the signal path –

Is the signal flow - Renderer - Matrix - N13 Control room? – I guess I’m not aware of the ability to have an insert path between the renderer and Control Room – I feel like I’m totally off base here - but if you could describe signal flow for me that would be helpful –

I’m running a Mac system - so that may have something to do with it

In my system - signal flow would be:
Atmos Renderer (virtual to) (and selectable)
N13 Control Room (Virtual to)
Apollo x16 (Analog out to)
A to D) Lynx Aurora 16 (D to A)
Trinnov DMon (Analog Out)
Speakers/Amps

I have an extra A to D, which I don’t like - but for any more then 8ch, you have to go AES into the Trinnov –

Maybe you guys aren’t using N13 Control room?