N5 complete update procedure.

Well, I finally got my N5 package this Christmas and I’m ready to install 5.x and updates. I’ll be installing the 64-bit version under W7-64. I gathered the list of updates from the support site, but I don’t know if they’re all required. Can someone confirm that I have to run all of these installers to be 100% up to date? Thanks!

• Install original N 5.0 (64-bit) + NEK 5.0
  • N 5.01 = Nuendo_5.0.1_and_NEK_Update.exe
  • N 5.1.0 = Nuendo_5.1.0_Update.exe
  • N 5.1.1 = Nuendo_5.1.1_Update.exe + Nuendo_5.1.1_Videoengine_Update.exe
  • N 5.5.0 = Nuendo_5.5.exe + Nuendo_Expansion_Kit_5.5.part1.exe + Nuendo_Expansion_Kit_5.5.part2.exe
  • N 5.5.1 (hotfix) = Nuendo_5.5.1_64bit_Update.msp

Steve

PS: A Season’s Greetings to all :smiley:

All I can say is that you can install 5.5 without installing 5.0 before!

Regarding the patches I am usually not sure - often it is listed in the download section:

“updates any previous version to…” --> you can install 5.0 or 5.5 and then the latest patch
“updates 5.1.0 to 5.1.1” --> you should install 5.0 then 5.1.0 then 5.1.1

Hope that helps!

Brandy

Thanks Brandy. So if I only care to install the latest version, do I just install:

• N 5.5.0 = Nuendo_5.5.exe + Nuendo_Expansion_Kit_5.5.part1.exe + Nuendo_Expansion_Kit_5.5.part2.exe
  • N 5.5.1 (hotfix) = Nuendo_5.5.1_64bit_Update.msp

…and forget about the original install disks? Will this install all the content?

My concern is that since one install builds on another, some element might be installed by a previous installer and if any installer is skipped then some elements might be MIA.

Not that I don’t trust Steinberg, but the best laid plans of mice and men… :wink:

Yes, 5.5 is a Download Version! With NEC ist is about 3Gb… Ok, there is always additional content im the DVD, but the application itself does not need it - for the first time!

So 5.5 and then the patch, done!

It might be a good idea to install 5.0 first because 5.5 has truckloads of issues, so you can use 5.0 instead. Can live side by side on your system, like two major versions, for example v4.3 and 5…

Brandy

Thank you, Brandy. I think I’ll install EVERYTHING, and then see what works for me. I really need to break out of 32-bit space ASAP… but can work with 4.3 if I have to.

Personally, I have it set up here with both 5.1 and 5.5, 64 and 32bit versions.
There were changes between 5.1 and 5.5 that you may want to leave for compatibility reasons & usage reasons (the whole way comping is done has been changed dramatically in 5.5 for starters).

So, personally, I would install 5.0 and patch it all the way to 5.1.1 in both 64 and 32 bit versions.
Then install 5.5 in both 64 and 32bit versions.

I thought that 32-bit and 64-bit N5 couldn’t co-exist; glad to know that isn’t the case. I’ve installed to 5.1.1 in 64-bit waiting overnight for 5.5 to download.

So can I just install 32-bit 5.0 and repeat the updates to 5.1.1 knowing that each version will have it’s own space + folders + preferences? Or do I have to manage folders for this and 5.5 32/64-bit versions manually?

I was somewhat disillusioned last night, as 5.1.1 failed to load because it couldn’t get past scanning the VSTs. Never a dull moment…