N8.2 VCA Bug?

This is ridiculous, we‘ve drifted past the point of unprofessionality years ago.
I don‘t need VCAs in my workflow, but I can imagine what it feels like if you do.

For my use case 8.2x is behaving very well by the way. I‘ve mixed hours of shows with it already, but vcas needs a fix.

100% agree. They are broken and worthless in their current state. Unless you leave them at unity gain do not even attempt to use them in a session with automation.

Can I assume this hasn’t been addressed in 8.2.10? If not I’ll keep waiting for 8.3

You certainly can assume absolutely nothing when it comes to Steinberg + Nuendo + VCAs. Trust me.

Fact: VCAs have never worked correctly in any version of Nuendo, as of the date of this post.

Which is over 3 years now, since they were a large part of the marketing campaign for Nuendo 7, released May 28, 2015.

I find Steinberg’s incapacity to implement properly functioning VCAs in over 3 years of trying to be corporately embarrassing. It’s hard to understand how somebody in charge hasn’t bumped this specific issue way up the development food chain and told somebody who knows what they’re doing “Fix this, now!”

I would love to use the VCA I have paid for (twice). However, I do not. I’ve been a professional long enough to know the difference between something that’s going to help me and something that’s going to hurt me,. In its current form, the VCA system does more harm than good. Wow. Just wow.

Still completely broken in 8.2. Don’t even attempt to use them at this point.

Well Steinberg?

That was 25 Jun 2016. So 2018-2016=2+1=3.

Three years.

Embarrassing.

Hello,

Thank you for bringing this to our attention.

The general feedback on Nuendo 8.2, into which we included all features from the latest Cubase launch,
has been very positive. The 8.2 version was built new on the actual Sequencer code branch, which
is also used by Cubase Pro 9.5.

We will immediately starting investigating why this issue appeared in 8.2.

Thanks,
Timo

Thank you Timo. I look forward to being able to move on from 8.1.10.

Immediately, meaning 2 months on from the original post!

Hello all,

update:
We have a possible fix for this issue for the next maintenance update, Nuendo 8.2.20.
We plan to run some tests immediately.

Thanks,
Timo

I vote you send it to MattiasNYC for testing, assuming he would sign an NDA about it.

I’m serious.

Why not.

I don’t mind, and I did receive an invite to test it.

MattiasNYC,

If I may respectfully offer a suggestion. Test the crap out of it since you have become somewhat of an expert on that whole package (props) and summon forth your best bedside manner when talking to the patient about your diagnosis :slight_smile:

You’ve done a lot of research into the roots of this thing and maybe you can help get this thing resolved!

but… can we use vca including tracks that have no volume automations ? will that be ok ?

–EDIT
ok so i just tried to rewrite automation on my vca making sure other tracks had no automation and it’s a real mess :confused: looks like automation keeps “jumping” from what i record to what was recorded
can’t use them at all.

Ok, so are there any other issues with VCAs on version 8.x that people are aware of? Just so that we can consolidate issues and test them all…

Actually, all automation issues should be included…

Not VCA related, but very occasionally and seemingly at random, upon opening an existing project, the volume automation on a single channel will not be read until I touch the corresponding fader. The fader will be (incorrectly) positioned at -inf until the playback cursor reaches an automation point, or the fader is touched. Then it will “jump” to the correct value set by the volume automation.

It’s very hard to repro, so I understand if you don’t spend time trying.
Thanks for doing this, MattiasNYC. Any news about the VCA behaviour in the maintenance update you’re testing?