N8.2 VCA Bug?

Might be hard to reproduce that error, but I’ll give it a shot later.

As for news; I probably won’t say anything until I both send information back to developers since I want to make sure I’m doing everything correctly, and also not until I go through the NDA again and make sure I’m not stepping on toes or am being counter-productive.

I’ve done about a third of the testing I wanted to do so far…

Thanks for doing this MattiasNYC. I can’t believe Steinberg missed this, but glad to see Steinberg bring you into the testing group (thanks, Timo!). Also kudos to you handling the NDA appropriately.

Hi Mattias, here is one:

Neighboring automation nodes often jump when you move two or more points next to them together while holding the option key (in order to keep it from creating new nodes).

REPRO:

1. Create three or more automation nodes, at different or the same values.
  2. Move two of the nodes together vertically up or down whole holding the option key(Not using the trim tool, but moving the actual automation nodes) and you’ll see the closest nodes they’re connected to often snap to the same position as the one you’re moving.

This GIF I made explains it well: (don’t worry, it doesn’t download. it’s just a streaming GIF): Steinberg Forums Keep your eye on the node to the right of the ones I’m moving to see how it jumps, and then on the left at the end.

Just wondering if we can expect to see functioning VCA’s any time soon? It’s been a while…

Well, I read through the NDA for testing and it pretty much says I shouldn’t share information about the software and thus the issues reported in this thread. So… you know, I can’t.

Let’s just say that your question should maybe be when the next update is coming.

When is the next update being released? :slight_smile:

Mattias, thank you for testing and Timo, thank you for including him! john

:smiley: just wondering if anyone can give us a hint as to when we might be seeing the next update? Just wondering, that’s all.

At this point, we aim to release the next update in October.

Nice one, thanks Ed!

Thanks for letting us know, Ed.

Great Ed. Thanks for letting us know.

-Andrew

Thank you for the update, Ed! I’m sure I’m one of many customers that appreciates this improved line of communication and openness to share that kind of info from Steinberg! I know sometimes release dates can’t be met, but it’s better to keep lines of communication open with us about the whole situation. Thanks again! Looking forward to it!

While there have been fixes in 8.3 for VCAs (thanks) unfortunately they still seem broken when you write initial automation on a track connected to a VCA that isn’t set to unity gain. I can only suggest to avoid them (again) or be wary of unwanted mix changes.

So unfortunately I didn’t see a specific clear repro for this error and missed it, and therefore I didn’t test it. That doesn’t excuse it getting through to release of course, but just so you know.

And more issues! VCAs and automation are just so broken - they need a complete rebuild IMO which can include finally fixing mute automation, adding functionality like mute to VCAs etc…

Yes, I’ve seen that one before.

Basically the VCA is controlling the slave-channel’s fader, not its volume. Nuendo then moves the fader to reflect the new level based on how you touched the VCA and when you then place an automation point on the actual audio track’s automation lane it’ll start reading that as a level change on that track and sum them together; (-12) + (-12) = -24.

I have to see if Pro Tools does it the same way and I have a feeling it might actually do that.

The standard solution appears to be to add automation points to all audio channels at the start of the timeline before ever even touching VCA faders that are connected.

The one thing that’s new to me in v8 is the new mixer undo paradigm. Until I fully understand the logic of it and how it interacts with written automation it’s going to trip me up something fierce. Some initial tests makes me a bit scared of using the undo button to be honest… but it might be me just not fully understanding the sequence of events/undo…

Pro Tools works as expected and creating initial values is not a viable solution.

now safe to use with 2.3 ?

No.