Need advice: 64bit or 32bit Host ?

at this time, not an official release yet… just a RC

Bernard,

I have not the time to read through all the posts here but I can say:

100% the same here. The plugins you mentioned are my go to plugins - there is no Mix without VSS3, Megaverb and Classicveb, there are no alternatives for me, and I have to say that I own all the Lexicon stuff, most of the UAD stuff (Lex 224, Plate) as well as I recently added the relab 480L.

Powercore is NOT a dead horse. Ok, it is dead - and it is a pain, but still I am riding it all the time because those M6000 algos are without alternative for me.

In latest Nuendo I had big problems with the internal bitbridge, before I was using TC via internal bitbridge - I now use jBridge and it runs PERFEKT. I am in an old 32bit UAD version as well - all jBridged. Do NOT use the Steinberg bitbridge. It will give you all kinds of troubles… Prijects stuck while loading (you will be not able to re-open them) etc.

I do usually big projects. Audio. 400 tracks… Then some Orchestral Stuff cames in in final mixing stage… 4GB ram or more, often… I still use 32bit Nuendo…

But I am most of the time using N5.5.6 64 bit.

Regarding N6 - I only installed the 64bit version.

And all the other plugins are usually 64bit now. I am spending cash only to Waves, Plugin Alliance and some others recently - lets name Slate Plugins as well… those are not 100% 64bit but usually I am able to use them in 64 bit projects without problems.

Go 64 bit, use jBridge!!

If you have questions - ask me directly if you want.

Brandy

That was the case here as well for about 2 years… but all of a sudden (went from 5.5.4 to 5.5.6) I was not able to open current projects anymore. The vstbrigde hung up during loading - shutting it down in the taskmanager made Nuendo to continue loading the projects but of course without all 32bit stuff…

Just did a short jBridge action and went on. All settings and stuff were there. Exept presets, unfortunatelly.

Oh this is an old topic… sorry Bernard… Tell me - have you upgraded?

Hi Christoph,
Nice to hear you again :wink:
Not upgraded yet… I still have to build my new system (have all the parts since months) but have to find some additional time for that… or I fear to upgrade or to jump to 64 bit… Bernard you’re getting old now… :laughing:
Thanks for your comment.
Most probably, I’ll go for Nuendo 64bit running jBridge for 32bit plugins (ie: Powercore) - I still don’t know how it works, how to install nor how to configure jBridge but I’ll give a try.

Cheers,
Bernard

It is quite easy! In the beginning of last year I had to go 64 big during Session - cause I maxed out 32 bit…
Those days Waves were still 32bit.

It was easy in the end, but I was at your point at well. I feared it!

I have to say that with current software versions even “regular” projects can increase to a RAM usuage were I have to go 64bit…

If you need any help just give me a call. Message me first though I barely answer the phone here.

Regarding the dead horse called Powercore… After I had troubles for years (2003, 2004) with the Firewire version - spending WEEKS to get it working without bluescreens and sync errors I am quite happy finally with it. A SHAME that TC dropped it - WHY? Of course the stock plugins are crap. More or less. But those M6000 algos… mmmmhhh.

I have to say that I purchased a used PoCo x8 via ebay some time ago - just to be sure that I will be able to use the stuff in the future… Hopefully there will be a way to run it on future systems…

yea - bridging 64bit instruments for running them into 32bit host is a good alternative as well. Though I have the feeling/hope that 64bit is the future… so I better find out workarounds for all those 32bit goody-plugins… And there are a lot, indeed!

Now that is said good :stuck_out_tongue:

Too bad that todays work (N7… UI stuff…) is full of survival strategies… On my system are currently:

N5.5 32bit (regular work)
N5.5 64bit (regular work when I need it)
N6 64bit (some experiments, some experimental work)
C6.5 32/64bit (I used a lot before N5.5 was there)
C5.5 (I used a lot between N4 and a stable C6/N5)

Isn’t it strange?

same here… I mainly have and use Nuendo because in the year 2000 Nuendo was something completely new - far inferior to Cubase VST… And it “sounds” “more professional” when you can say that you do your stuff in “Nuendo” instead of “Cubase” - usually everyone is using Cubase at home as well… you know… Lately I prefered the Nuendo GUI (regarding the project window) far above Cubase.

Well, Bernard - sorry for going slightly OT in your thread…