Need help with possibly corrupt project

Cubase gurus,

I need some help with a Cubase project that has gone haywire.

In late 2006, I started a project that I’ve come back to many times but never completed. Since it’s almost 5 years old, I’ve definitely open and closed the project in several versions of Cubase. The project consists of some MIDI tracks, a few VST instruments, some audio from REX files and some recorded audio.

When I play the project, it sometimes starts to speed up randomly, then slows down to normal speed. Audio gets garbled and distorted along the way, especially playback of the VST instruments. Sometimes opening and closing Cubase solves the issue for a while – other times a reboot is necessary. It is seemingly random – I can sometimes work for a while without any issues but other times it occurs repeatedly (much to my frustration).

The project is not heavily loading my system. My music PC is cleanly configured and otherwise very stable. I’m not having any issues with other Cubase projects. I think the issue has something to do with the fact that this project has been opened and closed in multiple versions of Cubase over the years.

Is there any easy way to start a clean project and import components from an old one? Any other suggestions?

Thanks in advance for any ideas you may have.

-Synth80s

My basic system specs for reference:

Cubase 5.5.3 32-bit
Windows 7 x64
2 x RME Fireface 800 running the latest drivers
2 x UAD-2 running v5.9
All plug-ins newer and running the latest versions
I always run at 44.1kHz, 24-bit
Firefaces and other digital gear clocked to a common source

Try doing a “backup project” it will write the whole project over to a new directory like a nice fresh new one :stuck_out_tongue:

Thanks for the suggestion – I’ve been using Cubase for years and I wasn’t aware of that function. I will give it a try. Do you know if that function establishes a new project file or just copies the one I’m already using?

It makes a new project file in a new directory and keep the old one as well.
It works well for projects that start misbehaving.

Cool – I’ll give it a try tonight and report back. Thanks again.

Update: I tried the backup project and it seemed to work at first, but then the problems started happening again.

Also, I noticed that I was running 5.5.2, not 5.5.3 as I thought, so I patched to 5.5.3 and still had issues with this project.

I’ve been meaning to try 6.0 anyhow, so I registered for the trial, installed it and updated to 6.0.3. So far, this appears to be working. Still, I’m starting a new project to be sure and pasting in the objects from the old one.

Unrelated question: when I buy 6.x (i.e. upgrade license from 5.x), do I have to re-install it or can I just change the license key from a trial to the real deal?

Thanks again,
Synth80s

I opened another old project today, this time in Cubase 6.03 and it’s mangled as badly as the previous one. The audio is garbling, distorting and occasionally speeding up and slowing down.

This is infuriating. Am I going to have to find a way to reload Cubase 3 and 4 to open and save my projects so I can update their file format one version at a time?

Shouldn’t Cubase 5/6 be able to open files from Cubase 3?

ARGH!!!

You could try whats called Trashing the Preference files, make sure you do this for all versions of Cubase you have installed on your computer.

Also make sure you have all the tracks in liner mode and not musical mode and in the pool you don’t have the boxes checked under musical mode.

have you tried the following ? on a good clear day and your machine is running well, render each track as data
transfer them to a cd bring back in as a new project. this is what I do for old SX3 projects to C-5. If your files
are not trashed might work for you. I collaborate with a friend via mail so I always have backup files handy.
hope I’ve not intruded! luck
danc

“render each track as data”

danc – I’m not sure what you mean by this. Do you mean open the problematic projects in Cubase SX3 and render each track as audio?

If so, I doubt earlier versions of Cubase will run on my PC (Windows 7 x64) Also, I still want to work on some of the tracks in the MIDI/VST realm.

I’ll try backing up a trashing the preference files.

sorry my responce wasn’t clear… should have said export rather than render. export each trac at same sample
and bit rate as on your project, find said files and drag to your dvd burner. set burner for data not audio.
If your individual tracs are valid you should now have good files to import into a fresh new project. this is non
destuctive so nothing to lose. you could do same thing on a backup hard drive if you have one. Also you could
of course do entire project this way, but I think individual tracs will work best for you. when you export the files
what ever effects, eq, etc. you have placed on that trac will copy over to new file, if you want dry, then turn them off.
wherever you can access project with best results is where to try from, be it SX3 or C5. money’s on SX3 if you can
open there. hope better this time!!
danc