Need metronome to click in 2 with 6/8 time signature

I feel really quite dumb asking such a simple question, but I can’t figure it out for the life of me. I’ve tried tinkering around in Transport>Metronome Setup but still no luck. Am I close??

have you set the project time sig?
Untitled-1.jpg

I don’t think setting the project time signature to 6/8 will set the click to dotted quarters. I’ve never been able to get that result. I would LOVE to be wrong about this!

IMO Steinberg needs to take a good look at the way Digital Performer handles clicks and time signatures. Setting up clicks for compound meters is a breeze and you can even have the click change to subdivisions wherever you like or even be tacet for a bar or part of a bar. Another thing I hate about working with compound meters in Cubase is the fact that you can’t set the tempo to the beat. If you want a tempo of dotted quarter=72BPM, you need to set the tempo to 108BPM. This is rather silly. In Digital Performer you choose the value of your beat and set the tempo accordingly. Even so, I still work mainly in Cubase, but I would sure like to have the whole Tempo/Metronome area upgraded.

Hi all,
I struggled with this issue as well. I think I would create a MIDI/Instrument Track and record dotted quarter notes and use MIDI in your Metronome set up.

JF Simard

I don’t think setting the project time signature to 6/8 will set the click to dotted quarters. I’ve never been able to get that result. I would LOVE to be wrong about this!

The funny thing is I’m pretty sure you COULD do this until Cubase 8.

I remembered this: [gelöst] externe VST² - sidechain einrichten - Auf Deutsch - Steinberg Forums
and I just tried it in Cubase 7 and you could set the count base to 3/8 in Cubase 7. Might be a little programming slip, but I definitely agree with NYFC that the whole metronome could be improved.

Yes, it does seem that this no longer works in Cubase 8.0.20 (but, oddly enough, setting the Count Base to 3/8 does work, but only for the pre-count).
Generally, the best workaround solution is to create a dedicated MIDI/=Instrument track for the click, and just program it however you wish :wink: )

However, using a midi track is a poor substitute for a functional metronome.

Agreed. Steinberg needs to take a close look at how Digital Performer does metronome and follow suit. DP does that feature better than anyone.

The good news is, that, as of Cubase 8.5, this is working again :wink:.

yes! please! Cubase needs to have a dotted quarter time base for the metronome. That was one of the few things I loved about PT. Come on Steingberg, please? its the right thing to do :smiley:

Hello. I land here Googling : “cubase metronome 6/8 two clicks”.
I easily found the Pattern Editor in Cubase Pro 11, BUT,
I hardly found how to choose the Metronome Pattern.
It took me time to see the 3 dots near the Metronome Symbol :
I let you guess what follows.

1 Like