Neither of my CB installs will run

Does opening Cubase directly (not via a project) work?

Have you had any other issues on your machine, particularly with user accounts or permissions?

Also, do you have any antivirus/malware blockers or system cleaners common to both machines?

I’ve seen people have similar issues like this and it’s been a system cleaner which was the cause. I.e. the sort that claim to protect your privacy by removing temp files, or speeding your machine up. Just have a think if there’s anything similar to that.

Also, check you’re not running Cubase as administrator, or anything like that. This sounds like some underlying files are not being accessed correctly to me. And all the above can cause it. Even some firewalls can prevent certain services and drivers from operating correctly.

CB freezes with no projects loaded. In fact because it freezes i cant open any projects.
No other issues on ym PC as far as i know.
Only using AV on one install. This has been on for about a year. Never affected CB. No AV on the other. Same issue on both.
Never use cleaners. On the clean instal im very careful about what goes on there and i don’t even use a AV.
Old install is running as Admin, new one isnt. Both have been working fine for a few months.
Ive not installed any new programs or add-ons etc.

To be clear, this is on two separate window/CB installs (within the same box). When force quitting CB a service appears lower down thew list in task manager and cant be quit. Never had this before.

The only thing I can think of is maybe a Windows update is the cause. Both installs are up to date and running the same level of Windows.

I’ve got 2 partitions on different Windows updates and my C11 is fine on both - my main is on the very latest update, anecdotal of course.

The fact that something has never affected CB in the past shouldn’t be ignored, either. I’d disable anything that is running at the same time and especially those that may be scanning files such as your AV - just to be sure.

I still think this is a permissions or driver issue somewhere. Surely as you’re running two different installs on the same box there’s a commonality in regards to the underlying drivers and other such tools that you’re running?

Are you overclocking your hardware and/or is this a self build? Is it possible your PSU is underpowered?

Looking through your posting history it seems you’re frequently having crashes or other such issues. Is it possible you’ve been patching over other issues, swapping and tinkering with different drivers and ultimately brought in some instability over a period of months, perhaps?

You sure you’re not having any other issues with the O/S or any other apps? It could really help highlight the underlying issue if there’s anything else you can recall.

If you look at my posting history you will also see a large gap before this one, so we can assume all was working fine in that gap. And i think hardly any of the posts pertain to the second install.
In fact i did the second Windows/CB install to give em a chance of having a clean install, with clutter. This is still the case and i dont tinker with it at all. Its got the bare minimum on it and has been this way for a couple of months.
In fact until this thread started i was using the old install a lot more, as it had stabilised.
If i keep CB open, it can stay working for days, so i dont think there is any issue with PSU, or scanning, and in fact there is no AV on my newer instal, other than Windows defender. Windows defender is not running on the old install. All CB files have been excluded from all forms of AV protection.
No hardware has changed at all since my last batch of issues a few months ago.
Possibly it is a driver issue, but as no drivers are shared between the two installs its hard to tell.
The more worrying issue is the Yamaha ASIO driver issue. I can get CB open on a second attempt, but by then CB cant seem to connect with the Yamaha ASIO driver. I’m wondering if the process i see in Task manager is locking it.
I have discovered that if i just go ahead and load a project anyway, i can then change to the Yamaha driver is Studio set up. Not always. But it seems to work a lot of the time.

Appreciate this is not an easy one, im just hoping someone will say something that makes the lightbulb come on. Im going to re instal the ASIO drivers tonight. I had a BIG issue with them before, and while it seems to all be fine once its running, maybe something has corrupted them

Ive just tried booting CB again and i get the same freeze. I did noticed a small box comes up very, very briefly. Too quick to read but it seems similar to the one i get when CB cant start the Yamaha ASIO driver.

Just had a quick look at a few of your dump files, this could be a memory issue - do you have two memory sticks in your machine, and perhaps try running on one at a time and see if it improves? i.e. to rule out any being at fault?

Thanks. To be clear, those dump files were created while i was having an issue with a project that got corrupt when i was using Spectrlayers.
I was demuxing some long files, and CB was autosaving while this was happening. I saw it happen each time. This wa some trying to open the project after this had happened. At one point CB did warm me the project had got corrupt.
The dumps are not related to the original issue as far as i can see, as i don’t get any dumps.

A bit of an update, and this is with either install.
Launch CB. It immediately shows as not responding in task manager, but gets as far as the top menu bar appearing. Clicking on it doesn’t do anything. I force quit it, and then a new process appears in task manager, but not at the top, its in alphabetical order. Cant close it.
Launch CB again. This time it will show me the safe mode options. If i select to ignore my preferences it will open, but with the Generic ASIO driver loaded. It offers me the choice of the two, but complains it cant open or connect to the Yamaha ASIO driver. Once CB has opened i can go in and change to the Yamaha ASIO driver. All now working fine.
I can then close CB and re open it with my preferences, and its working fine.

Then i reboot the PC. Try again, and back to square one, and in fact at the moment none of the above works. I can get CB to open but it refuses to use the Yamaha ASIO system. It can see it in Studio set up, but when i change from the Generic one it refuses to use it. It took 3 attempts of running CB to finally get the Yamaha ASIO system to work in CB.
I know if i keep CB open all will be fine, but if i have to re start it ill go through this again.
So the issue is when i start CB. I have run and told it to delete my Preferences, but this just seems to be temporary fix.
In task manager there is now a new App called Initialising Cubase Pro.

Hi,

I reported the crashes to Steinberg. Thank you.

Hi,

Could you try to (backup and) trash all Cubase versions preferences folder, to get the factory settings, please?

Cubase Preferences folders are:
Mac: ~/Library/Preferences/Cubase X
Win: %appData% Steinberg/Cubase X_64

Thanks for reporting this.
Well since my last post Ive not had a single issue, and I’ve been using CB each day.
For now I’m not going to touch any settings.

This is why I can’t figure out what’s going on. Absolutely nothing has changed as far as I know. I’ve made sure no windows updates have been applied, and I’ve not reinstalled anything.

I have turned off auto save as that seemed to be buggy for me, but that wasn’t the reason I started this thread.

1 Like

Hi @Davebass5,

Would you be willing to provide the whole Project folder for the further investigation, please?

You can share it via PM, please.

HI Martin.
Do you mean the corrupt Project? If so im afraid i don’t have it anymore. I didnt see the point in keeping it.
Ill try and recreate the issue over the weekend as I have another 3 hour file to edit down.

1 Like

Im back with exactly the same issue as in my first post. Nothing has changed on my system since this morning. but now i cant use CB on either install again. its been going so well over the past few days.
Its not so much the crash, its the fact that when i force quit CB there is a CB process created in Task manager that cant be closed, and this seems to take control of the ASIO system. so i can only use the Generic ASIO driver without rebooting my PC.

Hi,

Could you share the project, please?

Sorry, what project? The issue is i CB is freezing on opening. No projects loaded.

Hi,

The crashes, you provided formally were related to loading a project.

If it’s a different situation, now, could you please generate a new *.dmp file and provide the relevant *.dmp file, please?

Id love to, but no dumps are created. When i have to force quit the app and restart there is nothing in the top part of the safe mode window.
If there is a way to create a dump manually please let me know and ill do one,. I did try and do a windows dump from the background process that appears when ive quit CB, but it looks likes its. Over 1GB and im sure its not just for that process.

The dumps i posted above were in relation to the Autosave/corrupt project issue. Apologies for adding that issue in to this thread. Its now stopped as ive turned auto save off.

I think this background process is what’s locking the Yamaha ASIO driver. I cant get rid of that process manually, although it will go away after a while. Then i can use the correct ASIO driver again. CB never crashes while im using it, its only on start up, and even today, its been fine.
I dont think its worth continuing this thread. Its not going to be easy to diagnose an intermittent issue is it.

Hi,

You can try to use Microsoft ProcDump utility, if this will generate a DMP file.

Generate a DMP file and share it via Dropbox or similar service, please.

Once Cubase becomes frozen, open the Task Manager, right-click to Cubase and click to Generate DMP file.

If this doesn’t work, use Microsoft ProcDump utility to generate a DMP file, please.

1. Please download ProcDump64 from Microsoft (~650kB) and extract the archive to a local folder on your harddisk.

2. Run Command Prompt (cmd) as administrator (right click and select “run as administrator”)

3. Navigate (in the Command Prompt) to the folder with the extracted procdump file.
    For example:
    cd C:\ Users \ \ Downloads \ Procdump
    Note: the dmp file will be written into that folder.

4. Launch Cubase/Nuendo. You can work as usual. At any time, change to the command prompt and start procdump, to monitor Cubase/Nuendo for unexpected behavior (see next step).

5. Launch procdump64 via Command Prompt:
    Cubase 11:
    procdump64 -e -h -t Cubase11

Nuendo 11:
procdump64 -e -h -t Nuendo10

The -h option will write a dmp file in case of an application hang. This might kick in too early sometimes, in case some action takes a little longer. Feel free to skip the “-h” option, if you are only up for fetching crashes.
The option -e will catch exeptions and the option -t terminations of the application.

1. Prodump is now monitoring the Cubase/Nuendo process and will write a crash log, in case Cubase/Nuendo crashes or hangs. Perform the action that causes Cubase/Nuendo to crash and send us the generated crash dmp.

ZIP and share the DMP file via Dropbox or similar service, please.