Nektar Panorma Control Surface (Any Users) ?

This thread is WORKING!

Ordered a P6 from Sweetwater yesterday… :smiley:

Sweet :slight_smile:

I’m still undecided if I should get the P1 or P4/P6 ? Not the easiest decision for me, since I have some space restrictions, and don’t need more keyboard in the studio. It would have been nice if the P1 had the exact specs of the keyboard versions, just no keyboard.

What made you decide on the P6 keyboard version instead of P1 (desktop) ? which features were key to your decision ?

Thanks,
Muziksculp

I still use my baby hui just for the 8 penny and giles 100mm long throw motorized faders , id be lost without it , using normal faders and not being able to visually see the setting of the faders while moving f through the banks must be a bloody nightmare ,ive tried with the sl 61mk2 and the faders never used so I think in my case if I had the P1 it would be a waste or can you assign the faders to different controls than just volume ???

I wanted to replace my Impulse 61 - like the keys but not the faders much, and Automap has not being auto-ing or mapping much, just crashing a lot.

I didn’t know these existed until I read this thread, then I went and looked aroudn for reviews, etc. So to conclude:

motorized fader (!) + deep Cubase integration + easy UI + TFT display + quality keys = sale! :smiley:

I really use the motorized fader a lot. That is the biggest difference between the p1 and the p4 and p6. I have a p6. I constantly also use the transport control, but all the units have those. For the record, I also have mackie control universal with an extender.

Thanks for the feedback.

I will be looking into the P4.

The other option is the Mackie Universal Pro. Control Surface. So, I will be comparing the P4 agains the Mackie Univ. Pro and try to make a wise decision.

Cheers,
Muziksculp

u may consider this to :
http://www.icon-global.com/Controllers_MIDI+recording+controllers_Qcon+Pro.htm
https://www.icondigitalusa.com/content/qcon-pro-usb-midi-controller-station
Expandable to 32-channels control surface with 3units of Qcon EX( if u need) :slight_smile:

also this cheap simple one with motorized d faders:
http://www.icon-global.com/Controllers_MIDI+recording+controllers_iControls+Pro.htm

dont know the build quality though

Hey all,

In reply to Filterfreak’s question regarding the Faders, in Instrument mode the entire Panorama control surface is dedicated to the VST Instrument in the selected track (except the motor fader section which always controls the volume of the selected track). The faders tend to be mapped to Amp/Filter Envelopes by default, but you can override this in Learn mode, then store new default mappings for the faders.

With regards to visual feedback when moving through fader banks or fader automation, the TFT display handles this in Mixer mode.

Here is a link to a demonstration video where you can see the Panorama series controlling Cubase (sorry if you guys have already seen this but I think it give a broad overview of the Cubase integration for those who are just discovering the Panorama series!)

hi Tim
Thank you for the information and the link , I must say the P1 does look very logically set out and you have got me interested now and I wasn’t even looking for another controller :wink: .
I think a visit to Andertons music is in order to demo this little creation in full swing but there is one very important question that needs answering to sway me over from novation and that is … will you be doing a mat black version ?:wink: :smiley:

cheers john

Hi John, glad we got your interest! Sorry to say piano finish only for the time being.

Great minds… My EXACT question too after looking at the vid earlier…! :slight_smile:

Have to say, thanks for posting here Tim (and, nice vid…!). I too will be wanting to try and demo this somewhere - where they have it hooked up to C7 of course…! I’ll give DV247 a phone soon.

Bob

I’m at the A2D music Show in Exeter 18th May if that’s any use?

I’ll have a P1 and P4 hooked up to Cubase 7 with Reason 7 Rewired. We haven’t really shown much on Rewire support yet, but it works really nicely. You just select the focus between Cubase or Reason (we provide a button combo for this on Panorama), and get the full integration for each.

I am also beta testing the Panorama, in my case the P4. I can confirm everything bigboi says about the controller and the company. There is lots of clever functionality hidden under the hood. As far as I can tell, this is by far the best multipurpose controller for Cubase. There are still one or two not-so-good bugs, cudos to Nektar for not taking it out of beta phase.

On moving faders:
The Panorama doesn’t replace a dedicated mixer like the (more expensive) Mackie control, Euphonics or the Icon stuff. The nine non-moving faders are quite useful anyway. Perhaps not for serious mixing, but for rough balancing while recording and for editing synth envelopes. That said, I use the controllers to the right of the display more than the fader bank.

The single moving fader is very useful. By default, it follows the selected channel in Cubase, a simple concept but very neat; whether you’re recording, mixing or editing you can always see and change the volume in a snitch. And of course it’s essential for automation.

Because of the wealth of functionality, there is a learning curve. And you may have to think through your workflows/habits a bit to get the full use out of it. Anyway: highly recommended!

Can we have a list with the plug-ins supported /mapped so far for the P1?

Cheers

Maybe that will be impractical - the last build contained 377 mappings :sunglasses: .
And that list seems to be growing…

And once you get the hang of it, you can very quickly do your own mappings. These are a bit limited compared to the ones that the programmers can do, but anyway.

Hi,

I checked it out on the Messe in Frankfurt and it really hoped it would be nice, but it wasn’t.
Still too much hassle in menu’s. I even stumbled on a problem which turned out to be a bug according to the seller
….

love my cc121

Google spreadsheet maybe? I don’t that’s impractical - very practical to be honest. 377 mappings looks like a very impressive number, but what are those 377? That’s something the users could know in advance in order to make their purchase decision.

Updated as of 10 May:

Panorama VST FX Plug-in Map List: http://goo.gl/apRwA

Panorama VSTi Instrument Plug-in Map List: http://goo.gl/P54Jg

Their website has more information than appears at first sight. It needs a bit of tidying up.
However, Cubase users who want to explore the site a bit, could start here: http://goo.gl/vF2q7. There are several pages of useful info.

Details about what you see as a “hassle” and what the “bug” was would be useful. Thanks!

And as we are speaking, Nektar releases 1.0 version of Cubase/Panorama integration.

Will try it as soon as I get home tonight.