Nepomuk music text font

Yes, I actually have used that ordinal masculine in conjunction with a capital N to create U+2116… and a right kerning of n :wink:

Philip Rothman persuaded me to write an article about the Nepomuk typeface, and to make it available on Notation Central. (I blame him!)

There are Greek and (some) IPA glyphs in the latest version of the Regular font, so do let me know how you get on with these. Cyrillics are planned.

5 Likes

Bought it :wink:

1 Like

I bought it too!

One thing I noticed, text inside a box seems to have larger gap at the bottom than at the top. Does this happen always or only in my project?

You’ll find that different fonts sit in Dorico’s boxes at various heights. Really, you need to adjust the border margins in the Paragraph style for a given typeface.

3 Likes

I bought it when you first introduced it. I’ve converted all my files to use it as the default and love it.

I just purchased it as well, although I experienced something rather odd: each time I try to install a new style (m1 mini) the native font manager thinks it is the same font and keeps attempting to over-write the styles I have previously installed. I thought I had them all installed (they showed up in the list) however, when I tried to use ‘Regular’ I was getting ‘Regular SC’; so I tried reinstalling ‘Regular’ and it overwrote all of the styles leaving me with just the one. Now as I attempt to reinstall them one by one, this is what I see if I hover over “Keep Both”

Note that “regular” is now greyed out since I installed SmallCaps.

What am I missing? I have never experienced this with any other font.

Hmm. Well; it works fine here…!! Try just copying the fonts in your Fonts folder, rather than involving FontBook.

I’ve had a report on Windows of CTRL B selecting the BoldSC face: it’s possible that the SC versions are being confused with their lowercase versions. I’ll double-check the naming conventions, but I don’t think anything has changed.

I also have an issue with the SC versions on Windows. If both the SC and non-SC fonts are installed, the latter get hidden somehow and only the SC versions are present in the font lists. When deleting the SC fonts, the non-SC ones are available again.

Thanks for confirming: the fonts do have different names, so there shouldn’t be confusion though I understand that Windows is a bit … when it comes to font styles.

If you’d like, I’ll send you some trial versions with different names, to see which ones work on Windows.

1 Like

I had the same problem but managed to find a solution that hopefully works for others, too. I initially installed the individual fonts for SC and non-SC but found that whenever I wanted to use the Nepomuk font, only the regular SC version was available. I later deleted the separate Nepomuk fonts and started over by dragging the Nepomuk folder containing the fonts into the Font Book application on my Mac mini M1. The inclusion of the folder resolved the issue and I now have ready access to each of the Nepomuk fonts.

3 Likes

Thanks, Mike. I also have them in a separate folder, which explain why I haven’t seen the problem. I’m doing some investigating and will try to sort it out.

And thank you, Ben, for a fabulous font that helps make my scores from the late 19th-early 20th century look like they could have come from a commercial publisher of the period, especially when used alongside your Sebastian music font.

2 Likes

Hey, @benwiggy,
Really nice looking font. Bravo! :slight_smile:
Would you tell me, please, does this font supports Cyrillic characters?

Best wishes,
Thurisaz :slight_smile:

Thank you for the suggestion, Mike. Unfortunately, Windows requires all font files to be located in the system’s font directory. It’s not possible to put them in subfolders there. I can live without the Small Caps variants for now.
Also thank you to Ben for the great work on these fonts.

Not yet! I have been working on adding them, but there’s a lot of work to do.

2 Likes

Just to say that there should now be a fix for ‘conflicts’ between the Small Caps and the Regular/Bold styles, so please let me know if anyone is still having trouble.

(Oh, and don’t forget to quit and relaunch your apps, if not actually restart.)

There does seem to be an issue with MS Word, that I can’t figure out.

On my Windows 10 computer the mentioned issue was present in Dorico, but with the new version 2.051 not anymore. Thanks!

I’m a complete moron when it comes to anything remotely “computerish”.
could you hold my hand and show me what I would have to click on to download the font?

You can now download them from Notation Central.

Weirdly, in MS Word, the Small Caps fonts conflict with the Regular ones, so that only one of them can be selected (which one is variable).

However, the styles all work in Dorico (and Finale!) and all other apps.

I don’t know if it’s a Word bug, or a problem with the fonts; but I’m investigating every possibility.

1 Like