Neverending story: some projects crash on loading

Hi guys,

As long time Nuendo user, this is an issue that I’ve been suffering for a long time and it’s still around. Sometimes I have sessions crashing on loading. The funny thing is that those sessions have been opened with no issues before and the reported crashing plugin are not always the same, so it’s absolutely random.

Sometimes I can open it with some buffer combination, sometimes taking a plugin out of VST, but that’s unbearable.

I can’t understand why in Nuendo 11, with Atmos support, whistles and bells, we have to suffer that. Furthermore, I’ve reported that a few times with no luck. This situation makes me feel unsecured before a session, and I use to leave a hour between sessions just “to open the last project”.

For instance, this issue happened to me the last week twice.

I’ve reported this issue a few times with no luck at all. I hope Steinberg does something about this eventually.

Best,

Antonio.

When you say that you have been suffering from this for a long time do you mean before Nuendo-11? This may indicate that the issue is not tied to a particular Nuendo version but could be a drive or memory problem outside Nuendo. I am certainly not experiencing what you are suffering.

I would love that my issue is related to a faulting memory or drive, but in 10 years I’ve been using two different Mac Pros, two MacBook Pros, two hackintosh and the new MacBook Pro M1 and it happens. It’s not like “everyday”, it’s more a random issue, but I have to prevent it happening before a client shows up at the studio.

Regarding all this, I’ve decided to give a Reaper a try. It’s not like I’m thinking to stop using Nuendo/Cubase, but maybe I can mix in another more trustable DAW. So far, Reaper is like climbing the Everest without equipment and very counter-intuitive. Furthermore, I’m a Nuendo user for almost 20 years now now, so any change has to be painful.

yeah this would be troubling to me as well. I’m starting to wonder If Nuendo/Cubase on Mac is just not as stable in the way that it could be, because a lot of the bigger reported issues seem to be happening on Mac. If you had a hackintosh maybe worth trying it on PC. We don’t suffer that problem on our End with 3 Nuendo’s on PCs. For us its the occasional corrupted sessions that freaks me out from time to time, mostly happened on a earlier iteration of DOP when it was very new, much better now, but still happens from time to time that has be scratching my head. I usually can go back to an earlier BAK file to save the project or re-import tracks from track archives etc. to find the problem. Really that would be my biggest issue with Steinberg sessions so far, otherwise everything else is great, minus always the few extra bugs and tweaks that can continue to be made. Hope you find a solution

Oh are you running Music related sessions with Large samples libraries? This is what I would suspect the most likely culprit of loading problems especially if large sessions.

And are you always using an OLD template that you created from previous versions of Cubase or Nuendo. This can carry corrupted XML data or something of the like I assume so beware, in case also. Might want to update some new templates to try if so.

and of course flushing preferences beforehand as well just to know 100% for sure.

To be honest, I don’t like Windows but I could live it but my setup is very “Mac centric”, including a Apollo Thunderbolt that does not work in Windows and I don’t understand why we are still talking about this kind of issues (and I’m not the only one).

Thanks for the suggestion. This issue happens with large and small sessions, but mostly with the large ones and it’s not related with the use of libraries.

And lately I’ve been reconstructing my settings from the scratch (but the shortcuts), just in case it’s related with that.

no clue, i’ve been using Cubase/Nuendo for like 22 years on PC, served me very well, sucks if its related to OS and they should really investigate it big time.

I have a workaround for that, I have a session on my desktop named “anti rash”, it has one waves plugin and one relab plugin open, no audio.
If a session doesn’t want to open I load my “anti crash” first and then the bad session.

Works for me every time :raised_hands:

2 Likes

Only time I do have crashes on loading, it almost always is some third party plug in.
Since you never posted your exact specs… no one can really get close to some sort of solution.

I recently did a Stereo mix of a live show for some clients, had Nuendo running for 4 days straight, with all equipment on as well, interfaces, drives, etc. In 11 songs mixed, not one crash.

I have also had a couple of times in 6 months or so, where Nuendo crashes on startup. Typically, related to a plug in update or change.

I have had the time to remove plug ins I rarely if ever use, and this seems to have stopped any weirdness.

I currently am only using the following plug ins, all the latest versions as of this posting.

Waves 12.0
UAD Satellite Quad version 9.14.5
Arturia V Collection version 8
Softube - various, again up to date.
Plugin Alliance - various, up to date.

The ones I took out, some were orchestral libraries with weirdo plug in players, which also gave me trouble under Reaper and Pro tools. Others were just no longer supported (FXPansion were some). Mostly I am mixing now so I only need orchestral stuff rarely… All my sample libraries are on an external disk.

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro15,1
Processor Name: 8-Core Intel Core i9
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 8
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 16 MB
Hyper-Threading Technology: Enabled
Memory: 16 GB

Hi,

We use both Nuendo 11 and Cubase 11 in our studio on different machines in different editing rooms. We started to notice a similar problem when loading a template we have been using for years, when we updated to the latest versions (first Cubase, now Nuendo as well)… I pinned down the problem to a plugin called SpeakerSim, but the problem was curious - it was using several instances of the plugin on the same group channel. We do this so we can automate the changes on a single group by automating the bypass (automation in the plugin itself is very limited). When I disable the other instances of the plugin on that channel - everything works as expected. The problem is there only when multiple instances are turned on on the same channel, and the funny thing is - usually just the first time I load the project. Nuendo / Cubase crashes, I start it again and it works… I made a workaround by disabling other instances of the plugin in the template, but I just thought it is interesting, since it wasn’t happening before the latest update.

Hi guys,

I’m back :slight_smile:
I found that I had a couple of issues related with older projects with Waves and Lethal Audio, but Nuendo AND Cubase still crashes sometimes randomly with certain projects on loading.

Steinberg gave me a workaround to recover some projects when no combination of plugins and latency adjustments works:

1. Start Cubase/Nuendo without any 3rd party plugins, using the famous shortcut.
  2. Load the crashing project.
  3. Save the project with another name.
  4. Re-start the program, load the new project.
  5. Pray.

All this helped a lot to recover all my old Waves problematic projects, but it does not always work.

In fact, I can’t load a problematic project today and Nuendo did not point out any plugin, just crashed on load.

I’ve talked with friends using another DAWs about all these and it seems to be something “rare” in another platforms. In fact, I use Pro Tools and Logic to move projects around and they never crashed, so I hope that Steinberg finally does something about this.

Regards.

Since I bought my new PC it’s been 2 months of absolute nightmare with nuendo not openning back sessions (everyday !). Looks like for me it’s kontakt related.
How didn’t I lost client so far is a miracle and waking up 4am without weekends to try to compensate the loss of work / time to solve this.
Today I came across that post and tried the idea of opening a dummie session then loading my corrupted session unactivated then activate it. It worked ! saved that session back with another name… now I can reopen it.

Not saying it solved my problems i’ll see if it holds but… yeah with my 4yo breaking her finger 3days ago and now even less time to work ! i fell better this morning. thx for the idea.

1 Like

Yes, I have been doing dummy session not activated this for a while too, it works. But its time consuming . Steiny needs to get this sorted. Im hate Nundo 11 so much on my mac ;-(

please confirm you guys have this problem when using kontakt.
NI was kind enough to offer a share session but I never manage to have time to do it.
also

It’s not 100% ! i’d say 98% I lost important work thinking it was fine. but that session would just never load up.
so… I have backups every 3min… and fingers crossed when I work with kontakt.