New compressor Joe Meek....

I have just purchased an old Joe Meek SC2.2 Stereo optical compressor.

Now It had a suspected problem so it has been with the manufacturer for the last week but Ted Fletcher says it is spot on L/R tracking within 0.04dB. Anyway when I patched it in with quality leads that have been working fine on my DCL-200 for a month it gives me a level disparity on L/R channels anyway I will get to the bottom of that soon as
as the Green box comes back to me.It might be to do with unbalancing it going to my existing power amp. (soon to be replaced by a modified amp I have been working with which has balanced inputs) I have been occasionally running out of headroom with my NAD amp when hitting 90dB SPL or so, so this new amp is 250 RMS per side into 4 ohms and I have re-capped it and put really nice components inside.

Anyway I could hear it might well be the first optical bus compressor I like ! It certainly has a special quality to it as far as I could tell and seems pretty flexible as well, i.e. completely inaudible to grabby and blatty when on Slope positon 5. Pretty fast sounding for an opto.

cheers

Here we have it in the rack (just about)…

Sorry you have to click the link forum only allows 700 wide photo…

http://www.masteringmastering.co.uk/sitebuildercontent/sitebuilderpictures/mastering300611.jpg