New DAW Needed -HP Z4 G4 vs Core Speed vs. Clock Speed vs. Home Build, any thoughts?

Good morning,

My old DAW ( Asus x79 E5-1660v2, 128GB RAM, Win 10 Pro 64-bit) finally took a dirt nap today. I’ve been in the market for new DAWs, I’m planning either going the HP Z4 G4 route with one of the following processors:

Intel Xeon W-2255 (3.7 GHz base frequency, 10 cores) (HP Z4 G4 Workstation - ZWorkstations.com)
up to 4.5 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 19.25 MB cache

Intel Xeon W-2265 (3.5 GHz base frequency, 12 cores) (HP Z4 G4 Workstation - ZWorkstations.com)
up to 4.6 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 19.25 MB cache

Intel Xeon W-2275 (3.3 GHz base frequency, 14 cores) (HP Z4 G4 Workstation - ZWorkstations.com)
up to 4.6 GHz with Intel® Turbo Boost Technology, 19.25 MB cache

Or potentially a home build. I’m curious what the general sentiment on clock speed vs. core speed is for a film/tv composer working with VEP and Kontakt. On my last build I was able to run a fairly beefy template in stand alone mode, no slave, very smoothly.

Look forward to you thoughts. Thanks all!

I think you may get more replies if you edit your title to say “New PC Recommendations” rather than “New DAW Needed” as the DAW is generally accepted to mean the audio software rather than the hardware itself (but it can be hardware if it’s a stand-alone dedicated unit).

Thanks Mobius, wouldn’t let me edit for some reason…hmmm - thoughts anyway?

I’m a Mac guy I’m afraid. That’s annoying as I’m sure the old forum used to allow you to edit titles.

I hope someone else helps you out with your question.

Cheers.

1 Like

No worries, love me some Mac as well, just not cost effective at this point.

You’ll also find a few film/tv composers on Gearspace.com (formerly known as Gearslutz.com). There’s a long thread there about builds.