New Dorico Basics course from MacProVideo/AskVideo

I’m very pleased to announce that the lovely people at NonLinear Educating have just released a Dorico Basics course, devised by me.

It’s a series of 29 bite-sized videos that tackle the initial learning curve, including but not limited to:

• key commands (including customising them)
  • a whistle-stop tour of the five modes
  • initial score setup
  • input methods for notes/chords/chord symbols/dynamics (including using the caret), text etc.
  • explanations of the various other input tools (Insert mode, Force Duration, Tie and Scissors etc.)
  • global vs. local properties
  • global options vs. local overrides
  • Engrave mode(s), including pointers towards the kinds of engraving things you can do in SE and Elements
  • Master Pages
  • Some hints for laying out part layouts

…plus a bunch of common rookie pitfalls and how to avoid them.

It’s segmented in such a way that more experienced users can dip in and out, but if you’re coming to Dorico - or indeed notation software - for the first time, I recommend you start at the beginning and watch the whole thing in order.

The vast majority of the course is applicable to all three flavours of Dorico (3.5) and I’ve highlighted Pro-only functionality. Key commands (keyboard shortcuts) are given for both Windows and Mac.

Available at Ask.Video
orMacProVideo or you can purchase through Notation Central.

Happy watching!

21 Likes

Congrats, Leo. This will be no doubt a N°1 resource for many new Doricians to come!

4 Likes

Sold! I purchased the set through Notation Central a few hours ago. To get a bit of a “taste”, I jumped around at random, viewing snippets of a few seconds at a time in each of them. What I have seen so far has really whetted my appetite to work my way through them all. Well done, Leo.

1 Like

Seconded! Very useful course - learning all sorts of useful tips. Delivered in a succinct and engaging way too, so 10/10 + Gold Star to Leo!

Edit: some time later … compulsive viewing - poor old dog is missing his walk!

1 Like

Please walk your dog. Chances are I’ll still be here when you get back :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Congratulations Leo :tada: I will for sure purchase the course to support you first and then to learn new stuff. Thanks a lot !!

2 Likes

Leo, this topic deserves to be sticky on top of the forum among the other interesting posts. By the way Leo, can you later in the future make a pdf booklet o even a pdf book say a resume of your videos for people who want to get a quick references of your stuff. It will come on very handy.

2 Likes

That would be very handy.

1 Like

Do you mean a kind of list of bullet points of everything that’s tackled in each video?

hmmm, yes! you can do this too, but I mean, if you could compile a tutorial book that translate all your videos into chapters, you see? :smiley:

1 Like

Oh, I see. Thanks for the suggestion; I’ll give it some thought.

2 Likes

And you can sell both, either videos or a compilation of the videos into a text book! Leo, don’t forget to make some coupon for me haha! when you make it. :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve viewed some of the videos on Ask.video. The course looks highly engaging and I’ll be purchasing the set v soon. As a newbie to Dorico, but not music engraving, I’ll need to watch and re-watch them to get the new processes into my head and fingers!
Thank you, Leo.

2 Likes

Yes, re-watching is essential, along with practice, to really get the hang of speedy Dorico. An excellent reference course.

1 Like