New Driver Update Please UR Series [Windows 11]

Can we maybe have a new driver update ETA for windows 11 systems please.
I don’t really know what else to say or ask for other than I am in a corner and will have to buy a different brand of interface if there’s no word, I can’t just sit here and twiddle my thumbs for the next 6 months hoping that something is happening behind the scenes.

-UR22 MK2
-Audio Dropouts
-Corrupted Data-streaming
-Loss of USB connectivity
-Tried all available fixes/firmware and driver combinations without success

P.S windows 10 also has the same unresolvable issue now after updating and then rolling back
PPS I couldn’t find a place to raise a ticket for residents of Australia

My UR44 is working fine in Windows 11 with the current driver.

Perhaps there is something else interfering with things?
Can be be very frustrating, many of us have been there. Back up then clean install is often best option, especially since it sounds like you’ve already done the rounds.
The loss of USB connectivity is particularly nasty - that’s not normally a driver issue.
Have you tried replacing the USB cable or power supply? Tried a different port or PC?

Yeah I’ve done everything. Clean installs, everything. It’s very long winded to explain which is why the original post was so brief. If I included everything I’ve done it would be pages and pages long.
Seems to be a compatibility issue between windows 11 and usb 2.0 that uses this specific driver.
I have no issues with any other sound driver or any other drivers at all.
And I’m not willing to risk getting a steinberg USB 3 device to test that.
When the system does not recognize the device, that device runs perfectly fine (except for data stream corruption which causes an occasional ungodly screech)
But when the system recognizes the device and it loads the presets/config for the USB connectivity. The USB power management goes haywire.
My guess is that there’s literally one number that is probably a -1 or a 0 that should be another value within the driver config that determines power switching.
But I’m not willing to change power switching and or voltages on my system and risk destroying it for the sake of a $300aud audio interface.
So all I can do is ask for an update or if there will even be an update.
The fact that there is complete dead silence on this issue which hundreds if not thousands or more of people are having is the problem that I’m currently facing.

This is what I mean when I say the device is not recognized by the system

If this is affecting Windows 10 even if you’re using the previous drivers, then this is likely a hardware issue. Try connecting your interface directly to your computer using different USB ports, or try another USB cable.

Windows 11 is fully compatible with most Windows 10 and Windows 8.1 drivers.

You can contact Australian support at the bottom of this page:
https://yamahabackstage.com.au/steinberg/

Thanks for your reply roman I’ll head there if i need to raise a ticket next time,
Honeslty. The unit has always been kind of dodgy, I have had it for a long time and it’s always given me some issue regardless of what process I’m doing. I remember now that when I first bought it I immediately tried to return it as it had issues with pops and clicks for the longest time. Then someone online recommended a random driver (that’s not listed on this website any more) and that worked just fine, until I switched to Windows 11. The original settings did not migrate across to windows 11 and were subsequently corrupted. I updated the driver and now it’s a paperweight. I have 2 ur22 specific usb cables and neither work and a 3rd midi specific cable that also doesn’t work.
Long story not so short I’m just going to buy something a little more robust unless a new driver comes out within the next week that I can try.

Just wanted to note that as of this weekend all of my local music stores have stopped selling the Steinberg UR22MK2 and all local listings from retailers have been removed.

I am, too, having severe dropout issues with UR44 and Windows 11.

I am using a Dell Precision 774 i9. Especially if there’s some CPU load on the system the drop outs are significant. I am using the laptop for heavy java dev work (IntelliJ, docker). I cannot even use the UR44 interface for Teams/Zoom/GoogleMeet calls while I have my dev environment up and running, because the drop outs are unbearable.
If there’s no load on the system, the drop outs are (almost) disappearing.

Having said the above, I was using the same environment on windows 10 (!!!) WITH ABSOLUTELY NO AUDIO PROBLEMS whatsoever - No dropouts, nothing - even under significant system load, I was still able to watch a BluRay video … !!!
So apparently, it seams to be Win 11 specific for me.

I tried to mitigate the problem by installing the previous version of ASIO driver (v2.0.4) as suggested by a support article - no luck.
The (hidden) Error Info in the Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver GUI shows that the USB communication (RECOV) is being reset every few seconds (aka drop outs) and USBTS errors piling up, hence, rendering audio unusable.

I was further investigating the issue using LatencyMon tool. It revealed that the ACPI.sys driver is on the top of the list of “bad” drivers with highest ISRcount/HighersExec/TotalExec values.

Yes, I know, you might say that there could not be stable audio if there’s high load on the system. However, again, everything was working GREAT on windows 10!!! And yes, I also tried very conservative ASIO buffer sizes… I am currently not using my UR44 for any audio production, just for work, watching videos and listing to music…

I am about to downgrade to Win 10, but before I do that, I am just wondering if anyone else had similar issue with Window 11, especially on a Dell Laptop.

Thanks for any feedback!

Don’t know what’s causing these issues for some of us. Can only put it down to poor driver implementation.

My UR824 was used as Slave for a year and a half because of extremely poor driver performance, during which period I purchased an ID22 (now deceased) and used the UR via ADAT.

As more and more people started to experience similar issues with their UR Interface’s, there became, quite a lot of advice on how to resolve this problem here in the forums. I followed all the advice that I could find, and every tweak I made in the System and the UEFI were not changed back, even though the issue was not fixed. I was using driver version 2.1.1 during this time.

As a last resort and as advised here in the forums I reinstalled driver version 2.0.3 even though previously on the exact same system, it was totally unstable in all Apps that could produce audio, even system sounds were affected. But it actually worked this time, I was lost for words.

Now here’s the thing. Yesterday I changed my systems NVME drive to a larger one, and installed my W10 backup image to it. I then did an in place upgrade to Windows 11 Pro and the driver 2.0.3 seems to be working perfectly fine.

I must add that my system is an X99 build.

I don’t think there is an easy fix for this, maybe there is. But it is most probably system specific. PC Acrobatics seems to be a must for some of us.

The only advice I can give is, search the forum for all the advice you can find and implement the changes. After making changes, try different Driver versions instead of the one.

All the best.

Was that a clean installation of W11, or an in place upgrade?

Thanks for your feedback…

It was a clean Win 11 install - no upgrade.

BTW: In the meantime, I installed the latest Yamaha Steinberg USB drivers v2.1.3.
It went from worse to worst - Not as many dropouts, but audio gets completely distorted after playing any sound. It’s completely unusable.

That’s it - I’ll wipe Win11 and reinstall 10. Win11 had no benefit for me anyways - some cute UI enhancements but many other drawbacks which I find annoying (well, this is not the right forum for venting about win11 in general …).

I suspect that Dell and their drivers might be the culprit - or is it the Yamaha/Steinberg ASIO driver. I read some posts where Dell is no good for pro audio production. I paid $$$ for a top-of-the-line laptop (used mostly for work, but I used to record music as a hobbyist). I simply dont have the time to research this issue.
I envy Mac users for having a rock solid DAW “which just works”. I guess, having a closed system does have its benefits :wink:

Yeah, I’ve read that DELL laptops have issues with latency, pops and clicks etc.

Apparently some users of DELL laptops for Audio Production have had some success using a program called “Process Lasso”, not entirely sure what it is, but I think it’s some kind of process optimizer.

Reverting back to W10 seems to be the best way for you to go, in your case, but if you do decide to try W11 again, I would suggest an in place upgrade. At least you can revert straight back to W10 if all else fails.

All the best.

I bought a MinisForum UM790 with the latest AMD chipset with 64 gb ram Windows 11. And the interface connection to the UR44c makes my recording studio an unusable environment. I get an ungodly amount of distorted noise humming from my monitor speakers. I’ve tried updates and bought a few hundred dollars of noise suppression and cable isolation equipment to no avail. I was using Windows 10 with no problems, but I decided to upgrade to Cubase 13 and upgrade my 8 year old studio computer and go to Windows 11…I’m so frustrated. This seems to be a driver compatibility issue. The mini computer takes up so little space. I was very comfortable with my interface…but now I may have to look at a newer interface with better compatibility. Steinberg please give us a better driver!

This last week, I struggled to move my UR22 over to my new computer running windows 11.
It turns out in the end, I had to download the driver, unzip the file, then run the setup as an Administrator. Then my Computer recognized the UR22 as soon as I pugged it in, and all is back to normal again.
I’m using a Dell Inspirion 27 all in one.