New PC conflicting advice

Hi All,

Im about to purchase some new PC computers (Windows), and have been confused by how to maximize the performance by choice of processors / graphics cards. This relates to Wavelab 10, as well as 9.1 too. Ive been told by support to go buy older processors, but that doesnt seem like a good idea in my mind. Im looking for the best performance I can currently purchase.

1. Do the amount of cores / threads really affect performance?

2. Is the base clock speed the most important spec? It seems that CPU benchmards are sometimes higher with lower base clock speed. Im not sure why that is?

3. How much does the graphics card (or built in graphics) affect the performance of Wavelab?

4. How much does RAM speed matter?

5. AMD vs Intel? and reasons to not get either manufacturer?

I dont want to purchase unnecessarily expensive components that I dont need, so thanks in advance for anyone answering my questions!

GSmaster

Here is my take on your questions:

1. Do the amount of cores / threads really affect performance?

Not for WL - I have not seen a huge difference in performance regardless of cores. WL runs very well on the latest silicon and chips from 5 years ago.

1. Is the base clock speed the most important spec? It seems that CPU benchmards are sometimes higher with lower base clock speed. Im not sure why that is?

Probably not for WL. My rule for chip purchases is to always buy the second or third most expensive CPU (of a series) for best value.

1. How much does the graphics card (or built in graphics) affect the performance of Wavelab?

I use the built in graphics on my chip on all our studio rigs here. No need for a graphics card at all - unless you are maybe doing video or gaming that needs that kind of horsepower.
4. How much does RAM speed matter?

It’s largely overated (in my opinion). I tend to buy midgrade RAM for all the machines I have built since 2001. Have never needed to buy super expensive RAM for any purpose. On some mid-2000’s machines - I put in the cheapest RAM I could find and it was still a great experience. You get much better bang for the “speed” buck with SSD drives

1. AMD vs Intel? and reasons to not get either manufacturer?

I have been Intel for all my years except for one exit to AMD in around 2008. I find Intel to be set it and forget it.

Good luck with the build!

VP