New PC - Order of Install Hardware & Software

OK, I don’t have a new PC per se. I just upgraded from XP 32 bit to Windows 7 64 bit and upgraded Cubase 5 to Cubase 6, Wavelab 6 to Wavelab 7 and am upgrading an old Universal Audio UAD-1e to a UAD-2 Duo. And finally, I’m moving from a Yamaha n-12 interface to a couple of Steinberg MR-816’s.

I have Windows 7 64 bit up and running on a new hard drive and I installed Cubase 6 64 bit and Wavelab 7. So here’s my question: Do I need to install the interface before the UAD DSP, or does it matter? Thanks for any advice you have to offer.

The order of the installation shouldn’t matter… but I always install the sound card first because some of the software installation programs look to see the capabilities of your sound card to customize their particular install. Just make sure you have good, up to date Win7/64 drivers for the hardware and you should have little problems.

Win7 handles things pretty well. On my system I have an anti-virus running and made no tweaks whatsoever other than changing the power scheme and can stillrun as many tracks and vsti’s/effects as I need.

Thanks. I’ll just wait. The new interfaces arrive Wednesday and the gig is Sunday… Lexicon MX400 just arrived, Compounder just arrived. Too… Much… to… Learn!