New Project Template adding Flow Title

I have created a number of Project Templates. None of them have Flow Titles in my Custom Page Templates and the preference in Layout Options to Show Flow Headings is set to Never (for all Layouts). If I use New From Project Template in the File menu, it adds a Flow Title (after a second or two) and my preference does not stick. My Page Template is fine but I need to change the pref again. If I use the Steinberg Hub to create a new project from my template, no problemo. When I created the Templates, I ticked both boxes for “Preserve existing flows” and “Preserve Project Info” as I like my setup, including bars on two pages (simple lead sheets with 1 flow). Any ideas as to what would cause this behavior? Is it a bug perhaps? Thank you in advance!

Yes, this is a little problem in Dorico 4.0 that will be fixed in the forthcoming first maintenance release. Sorry for the inconvenience caused in the meantime.

Ahhh, thank you @dspreadbury !

I am still finding that the Flow Title returns when opening a template (saved with Flow names - Never) from the File Menu: New From Template. If I open the file directly from the finder it does not put the flow heading back in. It says in the 4.0.10 version history that this is fixed, but I don’t think that is the case.

Hmmm. It is indeed fixed for me.

Okay, quite strange, but after more experimentation and a total reboot, it is now working as expected. Thank you

I don’t know if it’s just me, but now the behaviour is the reverse of what it was before the maintenance update. If I open the template from the hub there is no Flow name, but if I now open it from the file menu: new from template - The Flow name appears!
It’s no big deal to be honest…but I wonder if that is the same for others?

If you start a new project via File > New From Template then whatever is set in the project template file itself will take effect.

@dspreadbury This does not seem to be working for me: I save a project template with Show flow headings set to Never or Not for first flow, and use this template to create a new project via File > New From Project Template it still defaults to For all flows. About Dorico info shows Version 4.0.31.1060 (Mar 24 2022)

I’ve looked into this and can confirm your findings. I’ll make sure this gets sorted out ahead of our next Dorico 4 update.

Related to this topic, something that should be obvious to change but apparently it is not that obvious:
The image is the beginning of the second movement of a piece (the 2nd flow). It clearly is not the “First” template (used in the first flow) but it isn’t either the “Default” template (used in all pages but the beginning of each flow).
So, which template is it, and how to I edit it?

Ok, I’ve found out it is on Flow Headings.
However, how do I move it up higher than the flow title?
Also, for the first flow, I would like it even higher than on the other flows.

Erm? Move the flow title down?

Edit the First Page Template?

Well, moving the flow title down is an option. However, I don’t necessarily want it to be further down, as it takes more place on the page.
The solution I’ve found is to not use the templates… rather, insert a text to the staff and place it wherever I want. But that’s kind of a turn around.

Regarding editing the first template, I think it once someone in the forum told me we should not edit a template individually (which Dorico flags with a red sign). But well, it is an option.

If you edit the page template itself, it does not create an override (that would create a logical nonsense!)

Have you tried setting the Text Box Alignment for that item in your flow header to Top?

alignment

1 Like