New "Right side of note" setting still causing hairpins to cross barlines in v5.1.30

Hello,

After updating to version 5.1.30, I’m still experiencing the bug from version 5.1.20 where hairpins that “[end] at the start of a bar where an immediate dynamic is present” are crossing over barlines (in my full scores) when the new Position end of hairpin relative to note or chord Engraving Option is set to Right side of note on main stem.

I’ve attached an example project below that demonstrates this issue:
Hairpin bug.dorico (577.8 KB)

Thank you for reading!

I don’t know if there is a global setting in either Notation Options or Engraving Options, but you can get the appearance you want in Properties.
Select the hairpin and then do Properties > Dynamics > Barline interaction > Stop before.

1 Like

There is indeed, it is a little buried :slight_smile: : Engraving Options/Dynamics/Gradual Dynamics/Advanced Options (expand it)

(and has a different naming than in the properties panel… Why?)

1 Like

I understand, however this was supposed to be a bugfix that unfortunately is still present in Dorico.

@Musicombo
The option that you changed has another effect:

A.

B.

To change the behaviour in presence of a barline, use the option immediately below that.

2 Likes

I’m confused; why would the Left side of note on main stem fix this behavior with Allow to cross barline enabled?

I want hairpins to be able to cross barlines in part scores, as well.

@Musicombo
I am not sure what you are looking for exactly: if you want mostly of your music (for example in parts) to allow hairpins to cross barlines, then set it so globally, and in the full score (where you want the hairpins to not cross the barlines) override the global settings locally:
select all (or the desired sections), filter gradual dynamics, and change the property that was suggest by @StevenJones01 in the properties panel locally, with one/two clicks.

I’m still confused… before version 5.1.20, hairpins like these would not cross over barlines in my full scores, and they don’t cross over barlines in said full scores with the Left side of note setting chosen, so why would they be crossing barlines with Right side of note chosen?

@Musicombo
I hope I understand your issue…
The end point of the hairpin depends on which note it is attached to. If you delete the immediate dynamic in your example, it will maybe become clearer:

A. the end position of hairpin goes till the end of the note to which is attached (and in this case is the first 16th that is after the barline (that’s why the hairpin is crossing the barline)

B. in presence of a barline, the barline “represents” or acts on behalf of the left side of the note to which the hairpin endpoint is attached, and the hairpin stops just before the barline, as it would stop on the left side of the 16th (instead, in case no barline is involved, see my second post in this thread)

(C). independently and beyond of this setting (left side or right side), the setting below (cross or not cross barline) can be superimposed, to have always the desired effects in presence of a barline and with or without combination of hairpin and immediate dynamics (see my first post)

A.

B.

2 Likes

Okay, I do appreciate this explanation! My takeaway is I was conflating the recent bug fix with this intended behavior. Good to know!

1 Like