New UR-C audio interfaces released

We are happy to announce our new UR-C audio interface line up.

The new range of UR-C USB 3.0 audio interfaces with 32-bit/192 kHz resolution and USB-C connectivity comprise the UR22C, UR44C, UR816C & UR22C Recording Pack.

All models provide latency-free monitoring with dsp-powered effects as well as D-PRE mic preamps, MIDI connectivity and full support for Windows, Mac and iOS devices.

Please find more information about the UR-C interface family here.

Hi Stefan,

That’s great news! Congrats! My MR816x is about to retire I think, so the UR816C would be the natural succesor for me.

Maybe I’m too quick in asking (I feel rude to), but: Is it possible to bypass the pre-amp on the line-in? I had no problem with the preamps on the 816 for line-ins but am just curious.

Also: Is the master volume control separate for just the main outs? On the MR816X I could not use the master volume cause it controlled all the outputs, so also the signal was feeding my compressors through another output.

See it has midi connections, that’s great! It is on my wish list.

I see some pictures of the 816 as a rack mount and some not. Maybe an option? Just wondering.

Actually, some new pictures were posted. It looks like the rack mounting brackets are removable…

So can these be plugged into a Thunderbolt port?

I don’t know the answer here but I will say that I have done a little research and it is worth noting that Thunderbolt 3 uses a USB-C connector but it is not the same as USB 3.1. The UR-C may still be compatible with TB-3, though… The specs don’t really say.

Correct. From what I’ve read, USB 3.1 can be plugged into a Thunderbolt 3 port but a Thunderbolt 3 device cannot be plugged into a USB 3.1 port.

1 Like

Indeed, the rack mount brackets can be removed.

So no one from Steinberg can confirm?

Sorry, your assumption was correct and I thought that no answer was necessary anymore :slight_smile: So, yes, a Thunderbolt 3 port can be used for USB 3.1 but not vice versa.

Good news. And will we need to buy the USB C to USB C cable or will it come with it?

Unfortunately, you will have to buy a cable for that purpose. There is only a USB-C to USB-A cable included.

Ok no problem. Thanks for the info.

No AES output on any of them? I’m wanting to upgrade from RME HDSP 9632 but without AES I can’t feed my Genelec 8250’s. Any reasonable work around?

Do these new interfaces have an improved ASIO performance over USB-C compared to USB2 and/or the old UR line?
Or does this make no difference?

There is an improvement compared to the previous line of UR interfaces but that is not related to USB 3.0 or USB-C but rather to the hardware design and the driver. On Windows there are three driver modes to choose from (Low Latency/Standard/Stable). Low Latency needs a bit more CPU load but that should be fine on modern systems with good components and drivers.

Any idea when these will be available?

I’m in Melbourne, Australia.

Not exactly, unfortunately. They have been shipped and it depends on the logistics and warehouses when exactly they will be available worldwide.

Thank you for a clear answer. Interesting to see different available driver modes.

Hi Stefan, any idea if this is known yet?

So the new UR-C audio interfaces are available at my local store.

I just want to ask if this cable is recommended to use as I’d like to use more of my Thunderbolt ports and free up the USB ports on my Mac.

Can you confirm that this cable will do the job? Thank you.