New UR22C w/ Windows 10: "Device cannot start"

Just hooked up a new UR22C to a USB 3.0 port on my Lenovo T430 Windows 10 laptop. Cubase did not show it as an available audio device.

Check the USB device driver. Shows Steinberg UR22C. Open it. Hardware tab said “Device Status: This device cannot start. (Code 10)”

========================================
From the tabs on the Device’s “properties” tab:

Driver Provider: Microsoft
Driver Date: 12/6/2019
Driver Version: 10.0.19041.1
Digital Signer: Microsoft Windows

Details: USB Audio 2.0

Events:

2/10/2021 3:47:53 PM Description Device not migrated
2/10/2021 3:47:53 PM Device configured (usbaudio2.inf)
2/10/2021 3:47:53 PM Device not started (usbaudio2)

Device USB\VID_0499&PID_172F&MI_00\6&1ef47ed6&0&0000 was not migrated due to partial or ambiguous match.

Last Device Instance Id: USB\VID_09E8&PID_006D&MI_00\7&17b88941&1&0000
Class Guid: {4d36e96c-e325-11ce-bfc1-08002be10318}
Location Path:
Migration Rank: 0xF000FFFFE000F122
Present: false

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
What should I do?
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Did you installed the corresponding driver?

I’m with @st10ss on this, it looks like the driver didn’t intall properly. If so, then the fix is easy, here:

Too bad this post was cut short. I have the same issue, although mine’s a UR28M. Been fiddling around with driver and firmware for most of the day.

The best answer I got so far is “Your device could be damaged and may need to be replaced”.

Currently running V2.0.3 of the Yamaha Steinberg Driver, but I also tried the V2.0.4 previous to that.
*wdma_usb.inf does not install properly (as with the UR22C above) but these two seem to be working:
*audioendpoint.inf
*usbaudio2.inf

What about the package from the download?
It contains a setup.exe… or something similiar… did you installed this?

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!

Yes, I did.
However, by now I’m back to Yamaha Steinberg USB Driver 2.0.4 on the system, since I’ve installed the complete ‘TOOLS for UR28M V222’. Installation went through, but not the ‘device connection’ and ‘confirmation’ steps.

It’s strange. I’ve been running the UR28M for many years, even in Win7(64), and never had this happen before.

UPDATE:
Seems to me my UR28M doesn’t get to access YSUSB 2.0.4.
And I think it’s got to do with my current USB controllers, none of which seem to be able to migrate.

Some detailed data, hoping someone might see something :slight_smile:

Also, as I manually update the driver to YSUSB 2.0.4 after getting “device cannot start” message, it looks like this:

Try to update the USB drivers from Intel, maybe your system uses the Microsoft drivers, but the older USB bridges contain many bugs in hardware that get avoided with the system drivers…
These make problems on many systems related to audio devices with critical timings

I cannot find any updates for Win10(64-bit) at Intel or HP for either of these two:

• Intel USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.0 (Microsoft)
  • Mobile 5th Generation Intel Core USB EHCI Controller - 9CA6

I’ve also tried running HP Support Assistant and Intel Driver Support Assistant.
Nothing.

Then I tried installing the device on an old Win7 computer with a completely different set of USB controllers and drivers.

Curiously, I got more or less the same results on that computer:

unit pops up twice in Device Manager
microsoft drivers usbaudio/wdma and usbaudio2.0 takes over the unit
“code 10” error - Device cannot start
unit not working properly even if the YSUSB driver is selected manually

My conclusion is that these errors are caused by the UR28M hardware.

I got help from the Steinberg Support team, who provided me with 4 steps to try out.
But first off, I installed a very recent update to the YSUSB driver (3 Feb, 2022)

So, one of the actions below did the trick (not sure which) and I’m up and running again:

1 .NET Framework repair by using this
2. sfc-scannow command in cmd (did nothing for me)
3. Installing the Microsoft Windows OS update
4. Repairing Visual C++ Runtimes, using Windows Key + R → appwiz.cpl

The error had NOTHING to do with the Windows/Intel USB Drivers.