New UR44 Owner - Some Questions Related to iPad Use

Hi!

So far really liking the UR44 but there are some things I can’t seem to figure out. I am using it with an iPad Air, everything running latest fw/sw versions of iOS and dspmixfx.

Features:

1. How do I enable the loopback feature? EDIT: Just saw in app description that loopback is disabled in CC mode. Bummer.
  2. How do I monitor the DAW signal in Mix 2?
  3. Is there any way to reamp dry recorded guitar signals with the built in DSP driven amp classics?
  4. Is there a way to save a preset to the initial boot-up scene?

Tech Support:

1. I am hearing reverb on mix 2 when the reverb send is disabled on mix 2. Is this expected behavior?
  2. With my other ext. audio I/Os I can record audio directly into the camcorder app. The UR44 doesn’t seem to like the camcorder app and either crashes it or creates unplayable videos. Is there a trick to this that I am missing?
  3. When I load presets in the guitar amp classics I get multiple notifications of the error messages as shown in the attached image. How do I avoid this?

Sincere thanks in advance for any help!

No iPad/UR44 users here?

Doesn’t Steinberg tech support monitor these boards? What’s a guy gotta do to get some answers around here? :smiley:

Log onto your “My Steinberg” account and send a support request if you want definitive action.

These forums are more users helping users, with the occasional comment from a Steinberg moderator or rep. While the function of the UR together with iPad is relatively new and largely (by most users) untried, you may not get a lot of feedback here ATM.

Please post back here any success you have should you get it sorted. :wink:

Hello,

Regarding your questions please read bellow:

You already have the answer for this, it is not possible.

1. How do I monitor the DAW signal in Mix 2?

You will have to create an independent stereo output bus on you host application or DAW. (E.g. Cubasis that has 24 outputs) you will have to create an additional stereo out with output 3-4.

1. Is there any way to reamp dry recorded guitar signals with the built in DSP driven amp classics?

You will have to go the analog way, get some cables and re-route the signal back into the interface.

1. Is there a way to save a preset to the initial boot-up scene?

Yes, simply click on “Store” right at the top of the app.

Tech Support:

1. I am hearing reverb on mix 2 when the reverb send is disabled on mix 2. Is this expected behavior?

I don’t have a direct source signal to test it right now, will have to get back to you later.

1. With my other ext. audio I/Os I can record audio directly into the camcorder app. The UR44 doesn’t seem to like the camcorder app and either crashes it or creates unplayable videos. Is there a trick to this that I am missing?

I am sorry but we cannot support you with this, have you tried contacting the developers of the camcorder app?

1. When I load presets in the guitar amp classics I get multiple notifications of the error messages as shown in the attached image. How do I avoid this?

We could not reproduce this, on our ipad it was behaving as expected, what iPad do you have, are you sure you have enough disk space left to save?
Could you write a step by step guide to reproduce this error?

Best regards,
GN

Thanks much for the replies! Sorry for not submitting the inquiry the correct way. I prefer to keep info open so that any users who have similar questions will be able to reference the info as well. But I will keep this in mind for any future support requests.

Regarding saving to the initial boot up scene, when I click store I can only save to scenes beginning at 1. There is no option to overwrite the “Initial Data” scene that I can find. I will use the same scene configuration 95% of the time. It would be nice if this configuration could be saved to the unit as a default and even usable in standalone without a computer/iPad attached.

The camcorder app is the default Apple camera/camcorder. Also it happens in iMovie and FiLMiC pro, so I guess it just isn’t compatible then.

Regarding the amp classics preset error, I have plenty of storage space left (approx 6GB). I will try to create steps to reproduce the error, but I didn’t do anything out of the ordinary. Saving the preset, then exiting out of the app and trying to load it after reopening the app usually does the trick. It does happen often though, just now while trying it I got it to error out again even though I’m not quite sure why.

I do think it is odd that you save the preset to the menu box that lists “ANALOG 1” or whatever input you are on, but then the preset shows up in the other box and is available as a preset to the other inputs as well. The save box seems like it should be on that second box instead but now maybe I am just nitpicking. :slight_smile:

Ok I also found that the Apple camera/camcorder for iPad Retina and iPhone 5s is not working with the UR44. same for iMovie and ProCam 2.

Btw, I did try with an iRig Pro and all those applications are working fine…