Newbie question about Audio Settings disappearing

I’m using an RME Hammerfall DSP Multiface II and am having a problem with audio input and output settings disappearing. It’s puzzling, but maybe I don’t understand how STUDIO works. I thought that if I set all my inputs and outputs once, they would stay from project to project, right?
I just set up a new project and none of the inputs I set up previously are available and the outputs are not what I named them.
I opened up previous projects and the settings are all there. This makes no sense to me. Is there some concept I’m not getting, or is this a bug?
I did this by “opening an empty project”, then adding a track. When I do this, my inputs are not available, and the outputs names and destinations have changed.
Any help appreciated.

Not sure about studio, I have pro, but one thing I noticed is if you do not have your interface powered on, cubase will use its default audio driver. You have to go into vst audio settings to set things right.

Hmmm…well…I’m not quite ready to be weaned from the Cubase User Manual. I try, but don’t remember the whole damn thing all the time, and usually my problem arises from assuming that Cubase is like Sonar in some basic sensible things. So, the deal apparently is that you have to set up your audio choices as a “Default”, or else Cubase defaults to something else. However, now, the projects I set up as an empty project used some other audio setting and doesn’t really default to my DEFAULT! So I have to copy the project to a new project and use MY DEFAULT. A bit Germanic, methinks. Not sure what the point is of all that.

I believe this is a problem not covered in the manual, which states:
" You can create default presets for input and output bus configurations. If you create a new empty project, these default presets are applied. To create default presets, save your preferred input and output bus configurations under the name Default. If you have not defined default presets, the last used input and output bus configuration is applied when creating a new empty project."
What the manual DOES NOT STATE is that when you re-open those projects created not using your default, they simply WILL NOT automatically use your default preset.

1. Setup your audio I/O however you prefer.
  2. (Optional but useful) save that audio configuration as a preset.
  3. Save your Project with the desired audio configuration as a Template.
  4. Use that Template to create new Projects.

Thanks, Rodger.

So…what I take from this is that you have to set up your audio inputs and outputs EVERY TIME you start a new project? Either by inputting a preference, or starting anew. Sorry. This just doesn’t seem right.

No. You set it up once as a Template. Then use the Template when creating a new Project. The Project itself retains this I/O config from then on (unless you purposefully change it).

Sorry, I meant as a “Template” instead of “preference.” Okay. So for each new project, you have to set up your audio settings, either with a template, or by re-doing the whole thing, right? I guess that’s one way of doing it, with the assumption that each project needs a new group of audio settings? Probably a little late to second-guess Cubase on this, eh? Just seems like an extra step that’s un-necessary, considering that most users will use the same setup for a long time.

I think you might be missing the point of a Template in Cubase. It is the structure Cubase uses to save a configuration environment that is customized to a user’s specific needs. While this includes stuff like the connections to your physical I/O; it also can include stuff like starting with an initial set of Tracks (none or a bunch), load up your go-to VSTi’s & effects, and otherwise setup Cubase. The idea is that you always use a Template to create new Projects.

Some folks use multiple Templates (i.e. one for tracking a band, another for writing). But you need at least one, because Templates are where you define your environment in Cubase.

Thank you, sir. Sometimes using another DAW for 25 years is an impediment to learning a new one. Very good and gentle explanation that helps me very much. Perhaps Steinberg should include some approach like this in their Cubase manual.