newbie question

Hey,

i bought connect pro on a win10 system since i intend to use it with a fellow musician who lives nearby but not nearby enough.

specs: for myself - look at the specs below on the signature. It’s a win10 with bells and things, but… since it is wintertime and it is cold outside, i am using the machine at home and so i am using not the normal driver but an asio for all type or the generic steinberg thing.

the other computer - is in fact one of my other laptops that i dropped to the person to get started, and it is an older win7 lenovo thing with decent enough specs when i look at the requierements on the website. It is 64bit, it has I5, around 2,5 gighz, and so on so it does the thing it needs to do.

But…

We tried several setups.

The first one was online. We are both connected online with steinberg with our id’s. We did find eachother, but for some reason we keep on getting the message that the smaller laptop is using “an incompatible version”. It is win7 it is 64 bit, it is legal and so on…
I can’t understand this, since this is completely within the sys requirements stated on the website. What am i doing wrong ?

Second option was to try the same thing together online at my house. I have read the manual, and it is quite simple on it’s explanation on how this thing should work. The performer should connect and then it should be LAN-online. But then again two things: if i use the button connect via LAN, it says again the message 'an incompatible version", and when i try the same thing online on the same network it says this is not allowed ??

Completely baffled thus.
Kind regards for the one who is able to help me out of this ! :slight_smile:

kind regards,
R.

You need to make sure you’re using compatible versions of the Pro and Performer App.

The Beta won’t work with the “Release” version.

I get the same
VST Connect Somebody tries to connect to you But uses an incompatible version
And NO BETA is being used - and no help given from Steinberg :frowning:

Use the beta version on both ends. New version scheduled this month.

I’m using VST connect SE as I don’t want to purchase something that doesn’t work, is there an update of SE?
My friend tried the beta version of performer but it came up with ‘incomparable version’ so he uninstalled it and put the ‘normal version on

This is really good news.

I am no newbe and have had very little success with the Pro version.
Not reliable enough for professional work.

I would be happy to Beta any new builds you have - you could PM me.

If the functionality were there this would be an amazing product.

Hugh

hugh,

if you need a guinea pig.
With corona i’ve moved the essentials to my living quarters.
Feel free to pm and we’ll give it a try.

kind regards,
R.

Thank you! We need more of guys like you.

with the times availeable due to corona now we can test. And yes. Everything is up ! Yeaha ! We do connect.
But…

i’ve read the manual and basically it says just choose the template and off you go.
OK. Maybe this is the case for most of the people, but not for me.

Since the manual is very basic in it’s explication on how to connect is getting me lost.
Nothing dramatic. I have a teamviewer on both ends with control so i can watch what happens,and there is a signal on both ends, but it seems to be on the same channels.

QUESTION: how can i get a very simple and basic overview on the following:

• server:
    ° the talkback micro is connected to a soundcard, and it has to transform its signal to cubase and from there to both the output to the internet and to the monitoring on a permanent basis for the local area.
    —) QUESTION: how to connect. The basic template does not do this, what i understand since every configuration is different, so that is a reason for such a question.
    ° for the vst’s i guess i have to cue them
    ° for the input from the internet (micro) from the other computer: where is the INPUT channel that has to be assigned in the audio channel part of the main workscreen

• slave:
    I have to control this trough teamviewer.

° same basic stuff. What is the input channel there to get internet transmitted audio from the server to the headphones.
I see this incoming on this machine, but there are no input/output channels there to be selected, nore i can find audio assignments ??

i know, a newby can be hard to train, but i would love to get input and i you would get a hugh fomr me. :slight_smile:

kind regards,
R.

sorry but the manual is outdated. Do not use a template.
Create an empty project and select “Create VST Connect” from the VST Cloud/VST Connect menu. Assign your Talkback Mic and you should be good to go.
You can also use “Create VST Connect” on existing projects if you make sure not to use plugins with latency. Also see https://connectvst.com for more details.

super ! and a big social distanced hug for musicullum

https://connectvst.com

that was exactly the thing i need

ok here some feedback of the progress.
To the readers.

I have things finally sorted out. It works like a dream.

Pittfalls for new users:

• don’t think you will clear this out without reading the document given in the posts above. The way the inputs and outputs are working is completely different from what you are used too.
  • start with the empty project to get an insight in what the essence of the workflow is. It is actually not that difficult at all, but it is just a different way of thinking. Certainly stand still with the section that explains the use of talckback. Do NOT use the rehearsal button in the beginning.
  • internet connection is the main pitfall. Most of us use wifi. Cable is far better than wifi. Understand that wifi-broadband is shared with other users and phones on your network and thus you could get broken signals if you can not sustain the connection. It’s not the program that fails but the connection that can’t be sustained.
  • don’t try to start from the beginning with individual cues on seperate tracks but just transmit the main output as a cue to start with
  • THE CUE SENDS ARE HIDDEN BY DEFAULT in the mixer in cubase. I have been looking for that quite a while to figure this stupid thing out.

Once there things are taken in to account it just works on the first try. Amazing !

So, i’m not at all an expert in this. Actually i’ve just finished my first succesfull connection and tryout. That’s it.
Without any decent education availeable for the moment on this, it is a strange way of marketing for this product.
But it works.
And this is the future to work with, with the corona being here for some time.
And it works indeed. No probs. Just watch out for the pitfalls.

kind regards,
R.