Newby question no midi input to Virtual instruments

I’m fairly new to Cubase coming from Logic. I’ve just plugged my Aruria Minilab keyboard that I’ve been using for years with Logic but I can’t get it to work with Cubase. I’m guessing I’m failing to do something obvious :slightly_smiling_face:.

1. I am seeing midi activity in the bottom right of the Project window when I hit keys on the keyboard. So I know midi is coming in.
  2. Arturia MiniLab input is active (box ticked) in Studio Setup.
  3. I have a virtual instrument loaded (Omnisphere) and it plays fine if I wrote notes into the midi editor. So I know that VI is working.
  4. For the VI track in the inspector I have Arturia MiniLab selected as input (I’ve tried All midi as well).

But the keyboard fails to sound the virtual instrument. I’m sure I’m missing something obvious here.
Any help would be really appreciated.

Hi,

What happens, if you try to record something to the Instrument track?

Please, double check, the Arturia is not set as MIDI Input of any MIDI Remote device in the Studio > Studio Setup.

Also make sure the MIDI Notes are not filtered out in the Preferences > MIDI > MIDI Filters.

Hi, thanks for the reply.
Nothing gets recorded on the instrument track.
The Arturia is not set as MIDI Remote device in the Studio > Studio Setup.
MIDI Notes are not filtered out in the Preferences > MIDI > MIDI Filters.

Hi,

Is it the same with the MIDI Track? Can you record MIDI data to the MIDI Track?

Have you enabled Monitoring on the Track?

That was it! It’s all working fine now. I had a feeling it was something obvious I was missing. Thanks so much!

Hi,

I’m glad you sorted it out.

If you want to record, don’t forget to enable the Record, please (the red button next to the Monitor button). Btw, it’s enough to enable just the Record button even for the monitoring of the Instrument Track. :wink:

Ah that’s great to know thanks!